PDA

View Full Version : Questions about setup of new reef ready 75

wooglin
01/27/2004, 10:11 PM
I am setting up a sump and am using a 800GPH at 4foot pump for the return. Will this be enough water movement for the entire tank? Will it oxogenate the water well enough? I am planning onrunning two outputs from the returns, but would rather not have either one pointed directly at the surface (evaporation, creep, etc).

wooglin
01/28/2004, 09:56 AM
Bump

wooglin
01/28/2004, 09:57 AM
I also need to know what kind of pipe to use to run from the overflow to the sump. The fittings are 3/4 inch and 1 inch. The Pump line is one inch, the other is 3/4. Can I buy this stuff at Home Depot or Lowes?

tonym10
01/28/2004, 10:41 AM
Are you planning on running a skimmer in the sump?
The skimmer adds alot of oxygen.
Use pvc or flex pvc, pvc you can get at hardware store, some do not sell the flex kind, but you can get the flex kind online or at swimming pool supply places.
I also have a 75g , I only use one return pump. 800-900 g/hr
I have it split to two sea swirls. My flo seems plenty for what I have, but I only keep LPS and couple softies no SPS.
here is a pic of my sump , you can see some plumbing.
if you click my picture gallery you can see all of my pics.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/41279longwwod2003-12-23_0001.jpg

tonym10
01/28/2004, 10:43 AM
BTW flex pvc will be easier to work with , and depending on what pump you are using can be quieter too.
I started mine with mag 9.5 submersible pump, i hated the nosie, that is why you see a Velocity exteral pump in pic, Velocity is silent.

wooglin
01/28/2004, 11:14 AM
I will be using my skimmer in the sump. I will call Home Depot to find out about Flex PVC.

tonym10
01/28/2004, 11:24 AM
My HP doesnt carry it
Here is a link to get it if you can not find it locally
http://www.savko.com/index.asp?pgid=4&ptid=19&pid=36&part=41007

LowCel
01/28/2004, 11:32 AM
Wooglin, I just did my reef ready 90 this past weekend. This was my first venture into plumbing as well. I just went to my local Lowe's and bought one piece of 1" and one piece of 3/4" pvc pipe. I also bought all of my adaptors and angles. Make sure you pick up the pvc glue while you are there as well. It wouldn't hurt to spend $10 and get a tubing cutter as well, it makes the job much quicker than using a hacksaw.

This was my first time ever messing with plumbing without any help. In the past all I have done has been hold something in place for my dad when a pipe bursted under the house or something. I was pretty worried about the job but went ahead and tried it anyway. It turned out that I was worried about nothing. The job only took me about an hour, probably a lot less time if I didn't measure everything 10 times. ;)

Oh yeah, one other thing. Plan on at least two trips to Lowe's. From what I understand everyone forgets to pick up at least one adaptor when they are doing plumbing. I ended up having to drive an hour to pick up a 40 cent piece. :D

tonym10
01/28/2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by LowCel

Oh yeah, one other thing. Plan on at least two trips to Lowe's. From what I understand everyone forgets to pick up at least one adaptor when they are doing plumbing. I ended up having to drive an hour to pick up a 40 cent piece. :D

Thats for sure, I proabably went back and forth like 10 times.