PDA

View Full Version : How much could I make??

Jeff81
01/27/2004, 11:38 AM
I have set up two 55 gallon prop tanks and I have them full of sps frags. About 1/2 inch each. The tanks are connected to my main 150 gallon tank and I have one 400 watt 6500K and one 400 watt 20,000K above each of the tanks. I have a calcium reactor that drives both tanks and a protien skimmer for the two tanks, a additional one for my main tank. I have set up deals with some of the local fish stores and I think that I can sell most of what I have.

My question is, how much should a frag go for, is ten bucks a good price, they will be about three inches before they are ready to sell. Also if I have 500 frags that are ready to sell every six months how much am I looking at.

thanks

jeff

Scuba Dog
01/27/2004, 01:18 PM
Price would depend on what the actual frag is......and LFS wont give you a goodprice, since they have still to mark up the price and resell......or they will try to give you the we will trade with you for our retail to your wholesale price.....i would say 5 to ten bucks for the lfs......15 to 20 to the general public....

minfinger
01/27/2004, 08:44 PM
My LFS gives about 10 to 15 for frags :p

griss
01/28/2004, 10:11 AM
I average about $10 - $20 per frag in either cash or store credit depending on the frag.

George

minfinger
01/28/2004, 12:18 PM
I always ask for cash. why take store credit. You just got sold something for $10, that they will sell for $20 or $25. Then you're going to buy something worth $10 and they'll make at least $5 off of you. And seriously, how many thing in a LFS cost $10, that you really need. And you'll most likely buy a coral or 2 once your credit is high enough.

So lets get it straight.
You make $10 from your frag, well actually you make some where aroun $5 to $8 when you factor in the cost of the water, electricity, the frag rock, the salt, the everything else, etc.., but lets go with $10.
At very best, the store makes $10 selling you frag.
You turn around and sepnd your credit in the store and they now make an additional $5 off of you.

You profit $0 and the store profits $15.

Down with Store Credit! Luckily, my LFS makes major BANK, so they can write me a check :D

griss
01/28/2004, 02:04 PM
Minfinger,

Ask Nanook why you would trade something to the LFS for store credit. He recently got a 6' Turboflotor skimmer for the store credit he got from trading in Xenia;)

It really all depends on your situation. If I need the cash to buy something, yes I will try to sell to local hobbyists. However, if I have 30+ frags to move and only a few local buyers (I prefer not to ship) I don't have much choice but to trade to a LFS. My LFS do not offer cash for frags, only store credit.

George

minfinger
01/28/2004, 07:12 PM
Yes the situation is something I guess you have to deal with. :)

Cool on the Skimmer.

My idea, sell my coral to the LFS, and turn it around and buy more corals from the whole sellers.

jeffchapman86
01/29/2004, 06:21 PM
What I do is I take the frags that I have and trade them at the LFS. Then when I have a load of frags that I want to sell, I get in touch with the local reef society, you may not have one near you. (CMAS in my case) If you have more than a few dozen frags, it is well worth it to get double for them and simply wait a little while until the next frag swap.

minfinger
01/29/2004, 09:18 PM
Good idea's. Except I started the local Reef Club ;)

www.charlestonreefers.org :D

I do agree with you practice. Amazingly, memebers still want to buy frags from me. I do tend to give a few things away some times.

fishdoc11
01/30/2004, 10:00 PM
I usually trade for store credit.$10 - $25 depending on the coral and the size. In fact I have gotten tank, stand, all of my live rock and all livestock currently in my 55 for frags. Basically I support my habit with frags. I also sell to people in the reef club.

racrumrine
10/29/2005, 12:49 AM
Has anyone been able to negotiate the store credit for wholesale price? j At least that way, you get to buy your stuff on credit at wholesale.

Best of luck,

Roy