PDA

View Full Version : Female/Male Perc's keep (searching)

vapovick
01/25/2004, 03:06 PM
my two clowns :) keep going to either the corners of the tank, or the spot they sleep and are fanning the substrate and putting the tail up in the air ? I think maybe she is getting ready to spawn. they were "dancing" together about a week ago..

Does this sound like I have the right conclusion ? they have only been together for about a month and a half ??

./Thanks

vapovick
01/25/2004, 09:06 PM
anyone ???????

Trek Rider
01/25/2004, 09:46 PM
Fanning the substrate does not necessarily indicate that they are getting ready to spawn. If they start cleaning a spot for eggs, ie nibbling at a spot on a rock, glass, tile, clay pot, etc., that is a more clear indication.

JHardman
01/26/2004, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by vapovick
my two clowns :) keep going to either the corners of the tank, or the spot they sleep and are fanning the substrate and putting the tail up in the air ? I think maybe she is getting ready to spawn. they were "dancing" together about a week ago..

Does this sound like I have the right conclusion ? they have only been together for about a month and a half ??

./Thanks

Sounds like they are getting fired up. Rather it will end in a spawn or not, hard to say. The digging does not necessarily mean spawning, but sometimes pairs will use this to get fired up. The head stands (tail in the air) is an aggressive posture, again a good sign of getting fired up.

Like Trek Rider mentioned, the only sure sign of a impending spawn is nest site cleaning by both fish vigorously bite a hard surface.