PDA

View Full Version : Need To Get Rid Of Bubble Algae Help Please.....................

CB
01/25/2004, 10:56 AM
I have a small problem that is growing I have some how gotten some bubble algae in my tank and can't seem to get rid of it. Any suggestions?:eek:

Thanks CB

kentrob11
01/25/2004, 10:58 AM
I've got the same problem. I don't have any other algae, just tons of bubble. I even have montiporas that have grown over the top of some 3/4" bubbles! Someone told me that a UV sterilizer will get rid of them. any other suggestions?

ri
01/25/2004, 11:02 AM
I added about 10 Emerald crabs to my 180. They took care of the problem for me.

I've heard that the crabs will only eat smaller "bubbles" so I pop/remove the larger bubbles. The crabs take care of everything else.

ri

dugg
01/25/2004, 02:51 PM
NEVER NEVER pop those bubbles!!!!!! Every time you pop one you are seeding your tank with a few million new ones. Carefully remove them from the rock, but try not to pop them ever. Not sure if i just finally got all of mine picked out or if the UV sterilizer finished them off, but i don't have any now, and i used to have thousands of them.

Little Reefer Boy
01/25/2004, 03:00 PM
This is actually an issue that I asked about in the regular forum. We're always told not to pop the bubbles, because then we'll spread millions of spores. However, emerald crabs pop them to eat them. At least in my case, my emerald sure isn't big enough to swallow any bubbles whole.

So what's the deal? Are the emeralds also spreading the spores, yet they just happen to eat future bubbles before they get large enough to see?

pwhitby
01/25/2004, 03:10 PM
If you have emeralds, pop the big ones or try to get the big ones out without popping them. The emeralds will take care of the little ones.

Alternatively....get a naso tang. Mine devoured the bubble algaes.

Paul.

poke75
01/26/2004, 12:16 AM
I had a major problem with bubble algae.

I got 5 emeralds and now I have only a couple of visible bubbles.

I would remove big ones the best I could (may popped) and the emeralds are taking care of anything else before it is visible.

I would assume I will need to find some of them a new home shortly (or should I leave them alone and let them scavange?)

It has taken them about 2-3 months to get rid of it.

Anyway... they have done a great job of ridding my tank of bubble algae.

BTW, my tank is a 75g with about 100lbs of rock.

Steve

pwhitby
01/26/2004, 08:47 AM
the emeralds can be fed with algae, like nori, the same stuff you would feed tangs with.

P.

CB
01/27/2004, 11:26 AM
Thanks for all the replys I purchased an emerald crab yesterday and will hope for the best.

poke75
01/27/2004, 03:11 PM
If you have very much live rock and or bubble algae, you will probably need more than one. I had two for about two months and my algae got worse not better.

I think the little guys would bust the algae and the spores would spread and make more bubbles before they could get to it.

I finally ended up with 5 total and they are working GREAT!

Later

friedenmeister
01/28/2004, 02:01 PM
you might want to try a kole tang. mine took care of my hair algae.

CB
01/29/2004, 10:15 AM
I purchased an emerald crab a couple of days ago and have already noticed an improvement we will just have to see how it goes but I appreciated everyone's suggestions

Thanks for the help
CB

sleepysimpson
02/02/2004, 09:05 PM
poke75: If you decide to find a new home for some of our emeralds let me know, I live in stillwater too and would be willing to purchase.