PDA

View Full Version : What to Add to a reef tank?

ReefRich
01/23/2004, 10:46 PM
Ok I am trying to turn my reef tank into a SPS reef tank..

I have a Calc reactor and a Kalk mixer. PLenty of lights and water flow.

Now what I need to know is. What do I need to test for and what do I dose. I am dosing and adding nothing right now.

should I use

Lugol's Solution
Kent Marine Tectra-I
etc...

I need a list please. I am wanting to get some great growth out of some acro's

Thanks.
Rich

Tarasco1
01/24/2004, 01:46 AM
I think that if you have a calc reactor and do regular water changes, there isn't that much more you need. Some people like to add iodine (Lugol's) but not everyone. Just make sure that you test for everything that you add.

If you really want to use additives, go through the tanks of the month in reefkeeping.com. They usually list what they add.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/24/2004, 11:49 AM
IMO, you should test for calcium, alkalinity, and pH.

You do not "need" to add anything else, except foods, but I add iron because I am growing macroalgae and silica to help organisms like sponges/diatoms/snails, etc. I do not presently add anything else.

easttn
01/24/2004, 12:19 PM
Me too,

Test:
Ca - 440+
AlLk - 8 - 12 Kdh
pH - 8.1 - 8.4

Mostly do 5 - 10% water changes every 7 - 10 days. Invest in a refractometer and digital thermometer to make sure new water matches old in salinity and temp. Keep on top of you topoff water too, don't wait till you neeed to add a couple of gallons.

Randy wrote an outstanding article in the chemistry fourm about balancing Alk and Ca, read it, and post the chart above you reactor till you can draw it from memory.

Good luck.

ReefRich
01/24/2004, 04:52 PM
Ok thanks for the input.. What is the best salt to use?

Rich

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/25/2004, 09:58 AM
What is the best salt to use?

IMO, it is not presently possible to say what salt is best. I use Instant Ocean, but could be convinced to use something else if there were convincing data that some kind were better.

There are presently some salt analyses underway that might help folks decide, and Ron has performed some sea urchin tests on a few:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/rs/feature/index.htm

There are a couple that I'd avoid for particular reasons. I'd avoid Seachem salt due to excessive borate added for pH stability and I'd avoid Coralife that has had elevated lithium in the past (but may not now).