PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up a 3/4" SeaSwirl in an AGA RR tank

Flame*Angel
07/24/2001, 08:59 PM
The return lines are 3/4" and my SeaSwirl is 3/4". Sounds simple enough. The AGA tank is predrilled and the bulkhead has a 2' long piece of PVC that fits snuggly into the return. It's an odd size but a piece of 1" tubing fits over it nicely.

If I buy a joiner piece (1" barb to 3/4" barb) that will all me to connect the pipe to a piece of 1" tubing and that to a piece of 3/4" tubing and that to the SeaSwirl.

Sounds convaluted but would it work? What are you guys doing in this situation?

Mako
07/24/2001, 09:14 PM
The return standpipe is 3/4", is it not? Why not just use a FPT/Slip coupler connected to a 3/4" barb. Attach 3/4" ID tubing to barb and go direct SS barb input

Or am I missing something?

bowfront
07/24/2001, 09:27 PM
Mako has the correct answer. I'm getting ready to plumb my new swirl this way on an AGA. If you already have glued the 3/4" PVC pipe into your bulkhead just remove the bulkhead and pipe and cut a section off. Then glue the coupler w/3/4" barb on to it.

Flame*Angel
07/25/2001, 07:34 AM
The return standpipe measures 1 and 1/16" outside and 15/16" inside. I went to Home Depot yesterday looking for exactly the piece you're describing and the plumbing guys told me there was no such part and that because the standpipe is such an odd size that I'd have trouble getting anything to fit it.

There is one other place in town that might have more selection that I'm going to try this morning. If they don't have this part do you think the set up I described above would work ok?

I haven't glued in any of the standpipes yet.

Mako
07/25/2001, 08:30 AM
Wow, that is unusual dimensions for a standpipe return for an AGA. What size tank is this?

Maybe you could just replace the standpipe. They shoud be using a standard size bulkhead in the bottom, say 3/4" or 1". You could just redo the fittings from this point so you could use standard PVC sizes.

I do believe what you described orginally as your solution will work. I Just like to keep things standard whenever possible. Not to say I have not jerry rigged a thing or two in my day though. :D

If you do go with the 1" tubing over the standpipe make sure you use some kind of hose clamp. Hate to hear of that thing blowing off while you were at work or something.

So, did the guys at HD not know what a 3/4" FPT/slip coupler was, or did they just not have one that would fit over the standpipe? Those guys can be pretty worthless sometimes.

Flame*Angel
07/25/2001, 09:44 AM
Woohoo - jackpot! I found a little out-of-the-way place that specializes in all kinds of plastic pipes and fittings. They came up with three different ways I could do the connection. I've got the FPT/slip coupler for the odd sized AGA pipe. I also picked up a length of white opaque 3/4" tubing to connect to the SeaSwirls so that I won't get algae growing in there. I remember a post about that not long ago.

These guys even had a fitting for the little pump I bought to do water changes. I love it when I find a place like this. I won't be going to Home Depot for plumbing parts anymore :)

Mako201 - my tank is an AGA 120g 4'x2'x2'. The bulkheads and standpipes came with the overflow kits also from AGA. The guys in the plastic pipe store told me that this type of pipe is commonly used for lawn furniture in the states.