PDA

View Full Version : gapping/discoloring

Torpus
01/20/2004, 04:01 AM
my clam is gapping/discoloring. I think Im pretty much out of luck. But just for future reference. I have already done a fresh water dip, and scrubbed the little guy with a toothbrush. I noticed about six spiralbids on the clam? would they be hurting it in anyway? I also notice a very small white translucent, what looked like a, sponge, had a hole in the middle of it. Didn't really look like a grain of rice. And only one of them?
Any luck? Any hope?

lllosingit
01/20/2004, 11:30 AM
I don't know much about Clams but I can tell you the Spirorbids won't hurt it and neither will the sponges or tunicates (could be either one)

For anyone to help you they need more information.

What kind of clam?

What size is it? ( I read your other posts so I know it's a around 1")

What do you have for lighting?

Have you been taking it out of the tank for regular feedings?
Clams as small as yours will not survive without being fed on a regular basis.

Someone with experience with clams should be able to help you much more than I can.

Torpus
01/21/2004, 02:53 AM
I think its a derasa.
We have a 250 watt XM 10,000 K bulb elevated about a foot off of our 10 gallon tank. This is what we are keeping our SPS, clam, and zoos in until we get our 75 gal. rigged with enough lighting.
We had not been feeing the clam. The tank did have a large population of pods. I though that the clam just feed off of the light itself. Wow, Im as bad as Petco, where we supposidly "rescued" it from. I feel horrible.
It hasn't died yet, I think. It looks horrible and discolored. I fed it today, its refexes are really slow though.

Torpus
01/21/2004, 03:08 AM
its a 1st grade tridacna
i was way off