PDA

View Full Version : 75 Gallon Set Up Opinions/Suggestions

SteveMH
07/23/2001, 02:57 AM
I've been planning a 75 gallon set up for the last month and asking questions about the best ways to do it here on these boards the last couple of weeks and I think I've about got it. I've been keeping a 55 gallon reef for the last year but I want to run down my list and get some opinions/suggestions on the final set up from some more experienced reefers.

75 Gallon RR Oceanic
PFO Dual 175 watt MH/10K
CSL Dual PC 65 watt Ultra-Actinic (from 55 gallon)
4" fan (from 55 gallon)
Tidepool Sump (from 55 gallon)
Myreef Skimmer (small)
2 Mag12 pumps - 1 for skimmer, 1 for return
3 Maxi-Jet 1200's
Wavemaster Pro (from 55 gallon)
Ebo-Jager 150 watt heater
130 lbs. Live Rock
150 lbs. Sand (110 lbs. from 55 gallon, bought additional 40 lbs. aragonite)

What I'm still trying to decide is what do with my fish. I bought the 75 because I felt my 55 had gone overstocked. And after looking at some of the tanks here and reading opinions I'm thinking the 75 may even be overstocked with what I have. The fish are 4 maroon clowns, 1 firefish, 1 golden coris wrasse, and 1 bi-color blennie. Should I be looking for new homes?

Any suggestions are welcome! If I ever do get a bigger tank it'll be a long time from now, so I want to be sure and get this one done right.

Thanks!
Steve

Burgman
07/23/2001, 06:46 AM
Hi Steve,
If you can afford it go with a 120 gal. tank. I have a 75 gal. and wish I would have gone the 120 route. The front to back room on a 120 is I think about 24" and on a 75 gal I think it's 18". Much
more room to aquascape your tank. Other dimensions on a 75 vs 120 are about the same. You might want to check it out before you buy. My next tank will be a 120 or slightly larger.

SteveMH
07/23/2001, 12:51 PM
I've already bought the 75. I did look at the 120 though and almost got it instead. I decided against it because of limited room space. I live in an apartment. It is a big apartment, but far from any space you'd have in a house. Also my spending budget is about maxed out from upgrading my equipment and adding more rock just for a 75. I figured after trying to aquascape a 55 aquascaping should be a breeze in a 75! I just have a narrow wall in the 55, there's absolutely no space to do anything. Aquascaping a 120 would be a dream.

Do you think I have too many fish for the 75? That's what I'm really concerned about. All the fish listed above have been doing great in the 55 for almost a year. But I've noticed most people are keeping very few fish in large reef tanks. I'm wondering if there's trouble down the road with all these fish I have.

Thanks,
Steve

Burgman
07/24/2001, 06:55 AM
Hi Steve,

I don't think 7 fish are too many for a 75gal. I have 4 fish in my 75 with no problems.

dc
07/24/2001, 08:25 AM
That's about how many I have in my 75. But you might want to rethink 4 Maroons. Even tho mines not, they are reported to be very territorial. I pair only would be better.

Mark
07/24/2001, 08:32 AM
I would reduce the number of Maroon clowns from 4 to 1, or at least only a pair. Maroon clowns get quite large (6+ inches), and at that size it would definitely be overstocked. If you replaced 3 of them with smaller fish, you'd be ok. I have a 75, and I like your proposed set up, except for the mh. IMHO, I would go with 250 watt MH. If you don't mind less blue, give the Iwasakis a try. But if you enjoy the blue, go with the 10k's. But definitely consider going with 250's or higher. 175's will work ok, but some of the more light demanding corals will enjoy a little extra wattage. Have fun with your new set up!:)

SteveMH
07/24/2001, 12:15 PM
Mark,

Wow, 6 inches! I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but I had no idea maroon's grew to 6 inches. What's even worse is I have Scott Michael's Marine Fishes handbook and I didn't look at the maximum length. I know percula's only get to 3-3.5 inches and I just assumed maroon's would be the same. My bad. They haven't been territorial, and actually have gotten along very well. They're still only about an inch to 1.5 inches. I think I'm going to reduce them to one pair and replace my firefish with a mated pair of firefish. I think the firefish is a really nice hardy fish to have and to look at.

I will give the MH 250 watt a look. Thanks for the replies!:)

Steve

Mark
07/24/2001, 12:24 PM
I believe the females will get this large. I've seen an 8 yo mated pair, with a 6 inch female. Truly stunning! Your proposed stocking levels sound great. Firefish are very pretty fish!

dc
07/24/2001, 12:37 PM
Well I only have one but she is well over 3". She is stunning.

SteveMH
07/24/2001, 12:50 PM
Have any pictures of your maroon Debi?

dc
07/24/2001, 01:07 PM
Well this is an older one. She is much darker now and larger. I've had her for 3 months. I have to find the cd to reinstall my camera and maybe even clean the glass first.:D

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1428170&a=12346372&p=48286916&Sequence=0&res=highMaroon Clown

SteveMH
07/24/2001, 02:12 PM
Clean the glass? You don't have to go to all that trouble!:)

I'm just interested in seeing one of these monstor maroon's. Your maroon is a really pretty fish! Now that it's three inches I bet it is stunning.

Steve