PDA

View Full Version : Skimmers - Different types.

Evolve
01/18/2004, 06:47 AM
Hi all.

Rather than waste your time ill get to the point.

I am having alot of trouble deciding on the best type of skimmer for a beginner tank. I know i want it to be as big as possible but the problem i have is that i cannot decide weather to go berlin co, current etc...

I was just hoping that some of you could give me your opinions on which is the best for a newbie.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

mandktod
01/18/2004, 07:14 AM
I have an Aqua C Remora, I have had it for almost 2 weeks and I love it, it skims like crazy, I got rid of a Bak Pak 2R and upgraded to the remora, CPR doesn't tell you that their skimmer only works if you keep your SG below 1.023 anything above that and it will not work so for the 4 months I had the BP2R I wasn't skimming or was skimming very little, the remora has already in less than 2 weeks out performed the BP 100/1

mandktod
01/18/2004, 07:16 AM
I would also suggest getting the MJ1200 on it not the Rio

aquaman67
01/18/2004, 08:20 AM
What size (gallons) is your tank and do you have a sump?

I see 4 foot tank in your profile, but 55 and 110 gallon tanks are both 4 feet long.

I like the Aqua-C line as mentioned above. They make some models that go into a sump, which would make a cleaner look in your tank, if you have one...

Brian@CPR
01/19/2004, 04:44 PM
Mandktod it'syour right if you prefer another company's product and compare it to ours, but please tell the truth when you do so. From the troubleshooting guide of the Bak-Pak 2R....INCLUDED IN EVERY UNIT:

PROBLEM:
Small air bubbles returning to the tank, and/or large numbers of bubbles are sticking to the walls of the aquarium.

Cause and Solution:
The salinity is too high. Lower the salinity to 1.021-1.023

If you look at our company website and/or bulletin board, it is quite obvious that this is the required parameters for the Bak-Pak.

mandktod
01/19/2004, 05:03 PM
Which make it useless!!!!!

Cali Reef
01/20/2004, 12:16 PM
mandktod
: I've seen post all over here at CPR's board from you....what's with your personal vendetta against CPR. Not every product works perfect for every person. Cut your losses and relax.

Some people will say anything when they have the anomity of a computer screen to hide behind.

ANYWAY......
I keep reading posts about the Aqua C's noise level. Anyone in here with an Aqua C think the Aqua C is too loud to have in your living room?
I thinkthe real test of a skimmer is wheher or not your tank is healthy, not how much skimming it does in a day. For that reason, I'm hesitant to spend the extra money on a Remora. I rarely se complaints from Bak-Pak owners that their tanks are dying off. They are usually little cosmetic things (the same could be said about the Remora, except those using the Rio....they seem to be totally unhappy with it's performance in all aspects).
I'm thinking of trying out a Bak-Pak with the airstone modification people have mentioned. I saw an Aqua C at a store running, and it sounded REALLY LOUD.

Anyone?

mandktod
01/20/2004, 12:27 PM
Cali Reef, if you were refering to what I said, go look on the CPR website and see if you can find anywhere it says only works with SG below 1.023, if you notice brian said it was in the trouble shooting part of the instructions, if you are like me you buy most of your stuff online because it is cheaper, and the only way I have found the trouble shooting guide is after I got it and it was in the box, so what I said was not an untruth as brian said, it is not posted anywhere that I have been able to find, and beleive me if you keep you SG above 1.023 it will not work efficiently and you will find yourself constantly raising and lowering the collection cup which is fine if you are home all day with nothing to do.

My remora however with the MJ1200 is admittedly louder than the BP 2R but not enough to cause problems and it sits about 3 feet away from my TV, but the satisfaction of not having to constantly adjust the cup is well worth the upgrade to me, I have gotten to a point I don't even notice it unless I am trying to hear it.

mandktod
01/20/2004, 12:35 PM
I ahve no "vendetta" against CPR other than their cusstomer service is the worst, I just want to inform any one considering one of their BP's that they will not work if you plan on keeping you SG above 1.023, and yes I did have die off of several fish etc.. while using the BP but I can not directly attribute it to the BP but it has always made me wonder, it seems now that may tank is doing much much better than it ever has, is that because of the skimmer, maturity? Who knows...

As mentioned in my last reply I have found now place to attain the important info about the Sg other than buying one and getting it home and opening the box, a little late to find out I think.

Cali Reef
01/20/2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by mandktod
Cali Reef, if you were refering to what I said, go look on the CPR website and see if you can find anywhere it says only works with SG below 1.023

How abut here. It's the first place I looked when I beagen researching CPR prodicts:

http://www.cpraquatic.com/support/troubleshooting-bakpak2.html

Cali Reef
01/20/2004, 12:43 PM
So...anyone ELSE have an opinion.

mandktod
01/20/2004, 12:45 PM
So I guess you read the technical support boards for every product you purchase and I guess that makes you better than me, I read about the product not about the problems with it, mainly because it was highly recommended, and it is not mentioned in the discription of the product.

dinademaio
01/20/2004, 12:49 PM
We have an AquaMedic TurboFlotor, it does the job nicely.

It's pretty quiet, aside from a little gurgling from the output spouts... but it's inside my tank stand, and as long as the door's closed you can't hear it when sitting 1 foot away.

-d

Riptide10
01/20/2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Cali Reef
So...anyone ELSE have an opinion.
I do. If it requires a SG of 1.023 or below it should be written on the front of the box. To not do that is a disservice to any potential customers. That is my opinion. That is a fairly important detail and should not be buried in the manual somewhere.

That said, it is a free market and BUYER BEWARE. I can't tell you how many times I've had it come back to bite me because I didn't read thoroughly about a product before I purchased it. That goes for aquarium equipment and PC parts as well.

TheShaws
01/20/2004, 01:02 PM
I have had a Berlin Turbo and am now using a Red Sea Prizm Pro. I had trouble with the berlin turbo, getting it adjusted properly when I first strated my tank. I was talked into the Prizm by the LFS, bought it online and it works OK although I still have not got lots of skimate since replacing the impeller. It is pretty loud with the pump outside the tank but helps with water temps and the air tube rattles all the time. It's a fine line between to much water and to much air.

The Prizm pro takes a lot of constant adjustments, part of hte hobby I guess but not my favorite part.

I was considering a remora but I have been reading lots of threads about problems with them as well. My NEW LFS loves them remora, says they have no adjustments at all, just hang it on and away you go.... sounds to good to be true.

I guess none are perfect, just pick the problem you can live with.

Brian@CPR
01/20/2004, 01:25 PM
I don't want toget into this too much here, but it should be known that there are plenty of users out there using a Bak-Pak with a specific gravity above 1.023
The Bak-Pak was designed for use with a specific gravity of 1.021 and 1.023 So, as a trouble shooting note, we mention that keeping your SG above 1.023 COULD cause a bubble problem.
In my 6 months as a tech support rep for CPR, Mandktod is the first person that I have encountered that MAY have had a problem because of his SG.
Mandktod's real problem was most likely that his unit was lopsided. Why he didn't get an exchange from his retailer as soon as he saw his unit was lopsided is for him to tell you.

Lockeind
01/20/2004, 01:38 PM
aqua c remora is a really nice skimmer

-quiet
-easy to install
-thin!!!
-optional drainage valve for vacation

Evolve
01/21/2004, 06:48 AM
I thank you all for your opinions but not exactly what i was looking for. What I was really asking is not what brand but what Type of skimmer?

I have been thinking of going for a counter current skimmer the brand yet to be determined. But my thoughts could be swayed by any advise.

what types of problems would i be facing with a co current skimmer? would i be better off with a berlin type skimmer? these are the questions i am having alot of trouble with.

Remora, Bak Pak 2 R. I think that if these are all differnt Types of skimmers then i am not ready to own a tank i still have a lot to learn.

Once again thanks for your time.

Cheers.