PDA

View Full Version : coral shedding a problem?

atrain
01/18/2004, 02:48 AM
I've read up on articles prior that claim that corals shedding is a sign of something wrong with the water?? I have had a sarcophyton,(rather large for the tank at this point), which is closed down about 3 days out of the week. it has been shedding bout once a week for about 8 months or so. Although I thought this is bad, it has almost doubled in size and is soon to outgrow the tank. Water parameters check out well, (greater detail if need). Tank has been up for a year now and just began last week replacing evap and water change with ro/di water(not enough time to tell if that's where prob is from). Is this film normal? none of the other corals seem to do this. any info would be appreciated.

thx

aaron

OodleyBoodely
01/18/2004, 03:38 AM
It is normal for sarchos to shed. If your water params are good and the coral appears healthy otherwise, then I would not worry. Some leathers 'wax' and shed quite often as yours does. Others may only do so occassionally. A lot of detritus in the water can also cause waxing as the coral sheds to clean itself.