PDA

View Full Version : center or corner overflow box's

jdair101
01/17/2004, 07:12 PM
Well I'm trying to decide on the overflows for a larger tank.
I'm upgrading from a 110 to a 187 and can't decide on one large center overflow or 2 smaller corner overflows.
My thinking is that because I plan on using the same return pump as I'm using now, two 1 1/2 drains won't be needed. If I go with 2 holes in the larger center overflow and use one for the drain and one for return, I can upgrade the pump someday and then use them both for drains if needed.
Is there any advantage to corner overflows rather than one in the center?????
Is there any disadvantage to a center overflow?????
The tank is built into the wall in place of the old one so there is no side view so that don't mater.
The tank will be 60X30X24.
There will be a closed loop in the new system as well with a intake on both sides of a center box or two between two corner box's.
Any input into this would be great.

Thanks Jim

j.stagner
01/17/2004, 07:46 PM
I would think that since you plan on having two drain lines anywayz (good idea in my opinion), as long as you have enough area it's really a matter of preference and how you want to work the aquascaping around the overflows.

To clarify, if you had two overflows sized at (to pick a random number) 3"x5", you would have 30" total of overflow area. You often have less area in a center overflow than two corner overflows, but since you get to pick I'd make that one of the criteria.

It's good to have a large amount of overflow area, as this is often quieter and less likely to get blocked by wandering anemones, etc.

I know I read something more helpful on this, either here in the forums or in the online magazine, but can't seem to find it at the moment, sorry.