PDA

View Full Version : stocking order

tonycigar
01/16/2004, 04:58 PM
my tank is finished its cycle and i'm getting ready to add corals and fish.i set up my qt tank and i want to start stocking tank with fish. i intend to qt them for 6 wks.
green chromis 3
royal grama 1
kole tang 1
clown gobies 1
midas blemy 1
jaw fish 1
tank raised percula clown 2
flame angel 1
cardinals 3

my question is what order should they go in?are they compatible?my tank 175 gal,40 gal fuge, 300lbs lr.

thanks in advance

ozadars
01/16/2004, 06:06 PM
dont buy 3 bangaii cardinal but apagons are fine.
add the kole tang, royal gramma and flame angel last others look fine

tonycigar
01/16/2004, 06:08 PM
thanks ozadars. can't wait to start adding fish

Sting
01/16/2004, 06:29 PM
I'd add 6 Chromis and stirke the Cardinals- Go in this order:

6 Chromis
Jawfish
Clown Goby
Ocellaris Pair
Midas Blenny
Flame Angel
Royal Gramma
Kole Tang

Blenny, Gramma, and Jawfish all have similar body shapes with potential problems, but I'm not really worried about- I just spaced them out to be careful. I've never had Gramma aggression problems, but it's better safe than sorry. Also, if you still want Bangaii's get 2 instead of 3 (lol why'd you pick 3 in the first place?) And if you still want Cardinals, drop 1 Chromis and add the two Bangaii's. You don't want just a few Chromis, get 5 or more for best results.

tonycigar
01/16/2004, 07:33 PM
i was trying not to overstock tank and get a nice diverse selection of fish.why strike cardinals and go all chromis?which problems ? thats part of the fun and exitment to stock tank,i see your still doing same thanks and have fun.

ozadars
01/16/2004, 07:49 PM
sting said to buy 6 chromis because i think he though bigger school will be better for both fish and for you, but i dont think so.
a 175gal tank is a big tank but not huge, chromis will probably school there but you just have one medium sized fish, kole tang and chromis school for protection, if they wont need the protection they wont school so 3 chromis will school better IMO as 6 will be more relaxed and will have a smaller place to swim.

you can try 3 royal gramma instead of one and you can try 2 jawfish instead of 1 so this will make them feel better

Sting
01/16/2004, 11:40 PM
Well, see- 3 Cardinals won't work unless you go with Pyjama- Bangaii pair up, but they don't school. Chromis have a tendency to single one school memeber out- it dies of lonliness/isolation/deprivation, and then they do it to the next one, so on and so forth- until only one is left- turst me, you can ask around these boards, it's a common occurence. If you get 6, there will be more fish to minimize aggression with. I am not saying they will necessarily "school" but they will group and it's always nice to have a good sized congregation of a certain fish species in any one particular tank. You can still get the Cardinals if you want, just 2 if you go with Bangaii (at least that's what I suggest) and then also get your 3 Chromis. It's up to you, there's really no set thing that will happen if you get x amount of Chromis, just things that may possibly happen, which should be your main concern. The best thing with more Chromis is that the probability of those possibilities is less ;) Just my two cents.

And yea, I am in the process of stocking my tank! It's been a fun ride, I am looking forward to adding a new fish Monday- probably a solitary Green Chromis!

ozadars
01/17/2004, 03:46 AM
actually not only pajama cardinals but also Apogon cardinals (longspine, flame, striped, orange lined, black cardinals) do school.
So i would go w/ one of these apogon cardinals

tonycigar
01/17/2004, 01:15 PM
just back from pulling double at work.you know i probably will end up getting both chromis and cardinal. maybe 4 chromis 2 cardinals. hey what about adding a sailfin tang also.

ozadars
01/17/2004, 03:53 PM
i wouldnt mix tangs in a 175 gal tank

tonycigar
01/17/2004, 07:22 PM
even if i put them in at same time. if there both between 1''-3'' when i get them do you think they will be able to coexist.

Mrbeachbum2
01/17/2004, 11:29 PM
Add the tang last we add it one to many fish early because the sohal was on sale wrong move but you learn from experiance, i guess ill have to get another tank for that foxface. And with that tang he will kill/attempt to kill every thign that goes in there

Sting
01/18/2004, 12:15 AM
Kole and Sailfin may be able to co-exist but you should check it out first- I'm not a Tang expert, I'm more qualified in other areas, but I don't think there would be a problem, but don't take my word for it. How about 5 Chromis and 2 Bangaii? Don't shab for 4, you might as well just get a 5th one.

ozadars
01/18/2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by tonycigar
even if i put them in at same time. if there both between 1''-3'' when i get them do you think they will be able to coexist.

not only coexisting but also they will get HUUUGE

tonycigar
01/19/2004, 03:28 PM
your saying you put tang in early and every fish put in afterwards the tang tried to kill? then tangs in last. you like the idea of a big school of fish. so do i. 5 chromis should not be a problem. i think the yellow grows to about 8'' and sailfin to 12''. youi think to big for my tank.