PDA

View Full Version : circulation question...

rocknut
01/15/2004, 12:08 PM
Ok, just want to get a few opinions on getting the optimal circulation on my 65 gallon (36 inch long). Currently, I have about 300 gph coming from my sump return, and another 250 coming from a powerhead at the same side of the tank as the return. Seems to me that this in not enough circulation for a tank of this size, less than 10 times an hour. So, I hooked up an extra powerhead (rated around 250 gph) firing from opposite back corner to the front, and a maxi jet 1200 (300gph) firing length wise across the tank right at the sump return. I was going to use timers so that only one of the two new pumps would run at the same time. I figured this should create a good, some what random flow pattern, and measure in around 14 to 15 times an hour for total flow. The problem is, since doing this, the tank seems to be VERY turbulant, and I have noticed that polyp extension is certainly less than before with the lower circulation. Especially with my elegance coral,which seems quite receded, and the tentacle like arms shrunken down to little stubs. My question is: should my flow give this kind of turbulant appearance? I have had the elegance coral about three weeks, could it be that maybe the circulation has very little to do with its appearance, and I'm just going to have the same luck as most others with these corals? All powerheads and return are aimed away from hitting any corals directly, instead firing at the glass, or across the tank. Should I just go with the one pump, and sump return? I always have read that you need a lot of water movement, but haven't seen many other tanks "in action", so I'm having trouble gaging, too little, or too much. Any tips to dial this in right? My tank currently has only soft corals, and a few LPS. Sorry to ramble, just hate to keep guessing with this. Thanks in advance, Rocky

DJ88©
01/15/2004, 12:30 PM
Generally you want to set up the flow to where your corals are happiest and doing the best. If your elegance isn't looking good since adding the extra flow I'd think about removing some of it. Or move the coral to where there is a bit less.

Some corals will adapt to the new changes. SPS usually can. LPS can be a bit tricker. I usually keep my LPS out of the direct path of a powerhead or return. Somewhat below them so they don't expereince direct or semi direct flow.