PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Pump

pappasth
01/14/2004, 03:56 PM
getting ready to start assembling the plumbing under my 220 soon, I have all the equipment now except a skimmer. (planning on an in-sump version) what I would like to know is, what would be the best way to mount my Iwaki MD70RLT under the cabinet ? everything is wood, should I use some sort of anti-vibration pad between the pump and floor, or should I try and raise the pump off the floor some? also, I planned on installing a shut-off switch in the power supply on the inside wall of the cabinet. Can anyone see a problem with that ? Any recomendations would be welcome.... configurations or hints to help make maintenance easier and possibly accomodate for equipment additions in the future. Thanks

ReeferMac
01/14/2004, 04:06 PM
I used bolts and mouse pads... I had to attach my pumps to the concrete floor in my basement. I took a board of plywood, routed out space for the bolt heads, and placed them through the board (threads sticking out the top). I glued the board to the concrete using Liquid nails on advice from folks here - worked mint. That sucker ain't moving. With the bolts no pointing up from the floor, I cut up a bunch of mouse pads I had lying around (finally found a use for the Vendor Freebies) and sandwiched them between the board and the pump. Put the pump on the bolts, screwed it down, and have had no vibration issues.

- Mac

MarksReef
01/14/2004, 04:51 PM
pappasth
Don't forget a ball valve or a way to turn it down if need be.
you probably already know that but it's worth mentioning.
I just noticed you have Horses. We have a couple Mules too.
Too bad you can't frag them too. :D

pappasth
01/14/2004, 05:30 PM
Mac..... Thanks, I was thinking that I needed to do something so you couldn't feel the pump vibrating.

Mark..... Thanks, I was planning on putting a 1" PVC gate valve on the output of this thing to help regulate the flow. Thought I may have little better control with a gate valve.
Your not kiddin about the horses.... we just bought a 3rd for my son... sometimes I think I should have my head examined!

ReeferMac
01/14/2004, 05:47 PM
I don't know why, but have always heard Ball Valves are better suited for that sort of thing....
I've got some Hayward True Union Ball Valves on all my Iwaki's, and it works out really nice. The Union comes w/ threaded and slip fittings, so it screws right onto the pump's output, and offers you a choice when connecting the rest of it up.

- Mac

MarksReef
01/14/2004, 06:06 PM
we just bought a 3rd for my son... sometimes I think I should have my head examined!
I just finished setting up a fuge and all I heard was " ANOTHER FISH TANK' I'm gettin another horse.
I couldn't hide it It's out in the open in the basement:rolleyes:

pappasth
01/14/2004, 10:10 PM
Mac, can you get these Ball Valves at Home Depot or Loews ?

ReeferMac
01/15/2004, 06:25 AM
Probably. I got them from my Pop... He's a Plumbing Salesman. :D

- Mac