PDA

View Full Version : Worried about goby

NicoleC
01/14/2004, 12:06 AM
My yellow watchman was quite thin when I got him, but was eating and softing sand immediately. Sometimes I'd catch him cruising around the sand bed (but only if I saw him first!), and if I put a piece of food in the tank he would dart in and grab it from the hermits. He had his real den, but also several other temp homes he'd lurk in throughout the day.

Lately he's been more shy and I rarely see him outside his main den -- if so, only by and inch or two. I've been trying to leave bits of food (most Formula VHP) outside his den for him daily, but I'm not sure if he's eating it or if the current is carrying it away or some of both. From what I can see of him, he hasn't filled out at all and is still too thin for comfort.

Can anyone think of a better way to try to specifically get some food to him? The hermits are hopefully going to new homes this weekend so he has less competition.

jnc914
01/14/2004, 12:33 AM
I have my yellow watchman for almost 2 years now. I got him fairly small and he would commonly disappear in his den for weeks on end. I was apprehensive because I didn't know if he was eating or not. After not seeing him for almost a month I pulled out some rock and found him. Miraculously he was alot bigger, meaning he had been finding food all those weeks. don't worry about your gobie, they will find food in the sand when they want it, no matter what your cleanup crew eliminates. If you want to boost his appetite and immune system, dose food with finely chopped garlic or use Kent Garlic Extreme( this can also be added directly to the tank water to help stimulate appetite). Good luck.

NicoleC
01/14/2004, 12:42 AM
Okay, I'll try to stop being a worry wart, but I really like him and feel bad that he's so thin. His behavior is okay for a goby, if more reclusive than before. I can see him in his den if he isn't in too far, which is a 2" PVC tube supporting some rock that has a big gap in it. He sticks his head up out of his den in classic goby pose much of the time.

jnc914
01/14/2004, 12:49 AM
After two years and considerable growth my watchman is actually comortable coming out of his den and swims when my actinic lighting comes on. He is still bashful most times but rarely disappears like he used to. If you are really concerned for his health you can attempt to quarantine him and use the garlic in his feedings.

NicoleC
01/14/2004, 02:05 PM
Taking all the rock out, possibly squishing and at least stressing other inhabitants and netting him would probably do more harm than good.

This morning he was in one of his other caves, one he used to frequent most of the day. Perhaps I was just worrying needlessly.