PDA

View Full Version : Is It Safe To Use Vaseline On A K2r Reactor?

greg s
01/13/2004, 04:59 PM
I was curious if any one knew if it would be safe to use Vaseline
on o-rings? i just bought a K2r reactor and have heard
they leak at the top, i have not hooked up the unit yet,
but if i have this problum would it be safe to use a small
amount of Vaseline to seal the o-ring? Thanks Greg

ButterfyBoy
01/13/2004, 05:52 PM
I guess it would depend on exactly what the o-ring is made of. There are a number of different compounds used to make o-rings today, which have varying tolerances to degredation by petroleum-based products. Personally, I'd suggest buying some genuine synthetic silicone o-ring lubricant, its much like normal aquarium silicone except that it never sets, always stays sticky. It's pretty much inert and much less likely to degrade the o-ring regardless of what it's made of.

greg s
01/13/2004, 06:26 PM
Do you know where i could find that? it sounds like
a better option to go with...as long as inert, i should
be good... thanks for the suggestion..Greg

skeletor
01/13/2004, 07:37 PM
hey greg,

I picked up some plumber's silicone grease from Lowes. just ask for it in the plumbing department and they should have it. it has no pertolium additives. you can also get this stuff from sporting goods stores (in the fishing or diving section), and some camera stores will have it too.

-skeletor-

greg s
01/13/2004, 07:49 PM
Great thank you.. I will check it out..

ButterfyBoy
01/14/2004, 12:48 AM
The stuff I have came with a bunch of Rainbow Lifeguard stuff I brought a while back; I would assume they would sell it seperately too. But I have also seen similar products in plumbing supply stores, as skeletor notes.

greg s
01/14/2004, 10:53 AM
well i hooked up the reactor last night and got the flow
adjusted and no leaks!! so for now it looks like i'm in the clear!!
I will use a product like you guys have said!! Thanks for
the HELP!! Greg

Scott Pray
01/15/2004, 12:01 AM
Go to a local Scuba Diving shop and ask them for a container of silicone grease. It is used on breathing regulators to grease the O-rings and is 100% safe.