PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick last fish

kbreese
01/12/2004, 03:16 PM
This is for a soon to be setup 75g reef tank which will already come with 2 false percs

So far I have tentatively decided to add a Flame Angel and want to add one more brightly colored fish preferably yellow or blue, but any bright colors will do.

Suggestions? Are there any fish that should be added as beneficial to the tank? For example, I know Tangs eat algae right and don't other fish eat things that help keep the tank clean etc? For the record the tank will be BB, have plenty of flow and a good skimmer.

duec22
01/12/2004, 03:41 PM
Have you thought about a midas blenny? They are a golden yellowish and will change to a peach color depending on their mood..I think...don't have one yet, but will be my final fish. From what I hear they are very personable too..

scott11
01/12/2004, 03:50 PM
Are midas blenny safe for clams and SPS- I would really like one aso

Nyxll
01/12/2004, 03:52 PM
I would get some type of utility fish to help keep the tank clean. If you go with a tang, get a bristletooth. Chevrons are gorgeous as juveniles but get drab looking as adults. I got a kole & it seems to be doing a great job on my liverock. Some rabbitbish are very good looking like virgate & the masked. Rabbitfish are as good if not better than most tangs IMO for algae control. If you wanted something more colorful than practical I would look at a fairy or flasher wrasse. Just make sure the top of your tank is covered.

Greg

ecugman
01/12/2004, 03:53 PM
Two words...Royal Gramma!

Bright purple and yellow color, hardy and cheap. What more could you want?

kbreese
01/12/2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by ecugman
Two words...Royal Gramma!

Bright purple and yellow color, hardy and cheap. What more could you want?

Have a picture? Well, the only other thing, is as Nyxll stated...utility. I assume this is not a utility/cleaner type fish?

chjay00
01/12/2004, 04:04 PM
Here some fish you might want to look into:

royal gramma (Very Colorful fish)
yellow tang (algea eaters & colorful)
blue tang (algea eater & colorful)
blue chromis
bi-color blenny (very unique fish & algea eater)
neon gobie (help clean fish but very small)
6 line wrasse (Very colorful fish but very aggressive towards small and peaceful fish also eat unwanted bristle worm)

kbreese
01/12/2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by duec22
Have you thought about a midas blenny? They are a golden yellowish and will change to a peach color depending on their mood..I think...don't have one yet, but will be my final fish. From what I hear they are very personable too..

Yeah I have considered a Blenny as I have heard they are really neat fish, but I didn't think they were two colorful. Still a consideration though...

kbreese
01/12/2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by chjay00
Here some fish you might want to look into:

royal gramma (Very Colorful fish)
yellow tang (algea eaters & colorful)
blue tang (algea eater & colorful)
blue chromis
bi-color blenny (very unique fish & algea eater)
neon gobie (help clean fish but very small)
6 line wrasse (Very colorful fish but very aggressive towards small and peaceful fish also eat unwanted bristle worm)

Great post, assuming it's accurate.

I will have to check out this royal gramma. I am debating on the yellow tang. Forget the Blue tang, people already pushed me away from that in my other thread. Apparently a 75g is too small for one, at least an adult one.

Blenny and gobies are a possibility. WOndering if I could add 2 neons along with one another fish, like a yellow tang. That might be too much altogether though.

Those 6-line wrasses never did much for me, not sure why they are so popular. Just MO though...

cheeks69
01/12/2004, 04:55 PM
How much are you willing to spend ??? A mystery wrasse is very beautiful and is reefsafe but it is expensive
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=355

DLS
01/12/2004, 05:00 PM
For my money, I'd get the royal gramma. They're reef safe, very colorful, have plenty of personality (once they realize you're not going to eat them), and are fairly inexpensive.

duec22
01/12/2004, 05:03 PM
MtnDewMan posted some really good pictures of a Midas on this thread...second post down. Take a look at the first picture and tell me you could say no to a face like that. LOL

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88988&highlight=midas

scott11, I'm pretty sure they would be OK with SPS and clams...take a look at all the SPS in the second picture in the tread above.

cheeks69
01/12/2004, 05:05 PM
Have you checked out the Randall's goby ?? They form a symbiotic relationship with the pistol shrimp which is awesome to watch. Here's my watchman with a tiger pistol

BryanJ
01/13/2004, 12:50 AM
My recomendation would be:
http://www.marinedepotlive.com/663494.html

tanker
01/13/2004, 03:00 AM
If your rich--a peppermint hog--Looks like a "swimming candy cane". If not how about a solaris wrasse or scott's fairy wrasse??