PDA

View Full Version : Would this be a good RO/DI

Skuzzlebutt
01/12/2004, 02:08 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2372151289&category=20756

As you know you can't always trust stuff from ebay but theres a million of these up for sale.

JEFFTHEREEFER
01/12/2004, 02:11 PM
same model i have--also bought mine from ebay--i love it--it has made a huge diffence

Skuzzlebutt
01/12/2004, 02:11 PM
And this one has a storage tank and a few extras. How long to the filters last in these units. Do they need to be replaced annually or what? If i bought this id deff start drinking a crap ton of water.
And thats 110 Gallons Per Day???? so it would take me a long friggin time to fill up my 75 gallon or is that just what load per day its made to take (like if you were to install at a restaraunt compared to a house?)

Skuzzlebutt
01/12/2004, 02:13 PM
so if i got one of these my tank would be 10x better off? No alage and better growth and will it cycle faster?(prob not) And my fishes will be that much happier?

AZDesertRat
01/12/2004, 03:45 PM
I would look at a 75GPD unit and not a 100 or 110GPD. The difference is in the membranes, 75GPD and smaller use a true RO membrane while 100GPD and up use a microfilter. Using their figure of 300 ppm TDS a true RO will produce water with a TDS of around 7 or 8 compared to their figure or 30. An RO gets you around 98% removal vs 90% for a micro. This is especially important if your raw water is high in contaminants and you plan on using a DI final filter. Passing 30 through a DI will only get you maybe 150 gallons before it needs replacing compared to 300+ gallons at 8. DI cartridges or refills are pretty expensive so you would be money ahead to get the 75 instead of the 100. Either way expect to only get about half of the rated capacity due to water temperatures, pressure and raw water characteristics.

My personal unit is a 5 stage 75GPD with a drinking water kit and 2 bladder tanks hooked to the laundry sink, kitchen sink and icemaker. I also have a seperate line to my refillable DI cartridge by the laundry sink. Wit two bladder tanks I can fill 5G water jugs in one shot without waiting for it to drip all day.