PDA

View Full Version : AquaFuge HOT Size for 55 Gallon?

EternalNY
01/11/2004, 09:57 AM
I searched everywhere (here and the net!) and amazingly, can't find recommendations on which of the 3 sizes is appropriate for my 55 gallon.

All the sites on the net (including the manufacturers!) apparently just show the dimensions, and do not recommend any particular model based on the size of the tank.

So which of these is most appropriate? Right now, it's an FO tank, but that may change :p

Small - 13.25" x 4.5" x 12"
Medium - 19.25" x 4.5" x 12"
Large - 25.5" x 4.5" x 12"

Thanks!

peacetypes6
01/11/2004, 10:13 AM
Medium - 19.25" x 4.5" x 12"

you dont want to cram, and you also want room for other things and wires you may run into

aquaman67
01/11/2004, 10:23 AM
Your tank is 4 feet long. The biggest 'fuge is just over two...get the big one.

More room for more stuff!!!!!

hdtran
01/11/2004, 10:51 AM
The space required for the hang-on-back aquafuge is the space between the inlet tube and outlet tube (more or less), and is either 12", 18", or 24". The tank itself is larger.

Look at your tank & its bracing (if any), and how much space you need for your skimmer, heater, etc. Then, decide how much space you want to allocate to the aquafuge. Remember your tank is only 48" wide (on the outside). I'd think the 18" would be fine; the 24" would sort of cramp things.

Do a search for "CPR Aquafuge" or "Aquafuge" in both the Reef Discussion & the "Lighting, Filtration & Equipment" forums for some comments on the 24".

EternalNY
01/11/2004, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the replies!

The back of the tank is already crowded (I'm a big fan of hang on items, and don't have a sump!). I've got a skimmer, two heaters, and a filter on there.

I'll do some measurements, but it looks like I'll be going with the medium.

Thanks again.

The Grim Reefer
01/11/2004, 01:30 PM
If you are doing a reef and have a good skimmer you might think about losing the HOB filter. You woud be better served by the fuge. Stay away from the 24" aquafuge for now, there are some design issues. The 18 seems to be good.

hdtran
01/11/2004, 02:00 PM
Actually, CPR just redesigned their 24 to have two 1/4" thick braces, "per customer input" ;)

So, all new CPR aquafuge 24s will have two braces, not just one. And the braces will be 1/4" thick, not 3/16" (actually looked like 1/8 to me, but I'm too lazy to go out to the garage to get my calipers, because that means I'd have to clean the garage :D )

The Grim Reefer
01/11/2004, 02:34 PM
I posted this on the other thread but how many of the old design units are sitting on retailer's shelve ready to be sold? What is CPR going to do about that? I would at least make it clear I wanted the updated design when ordering.

EternalNY
01/11/2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
If you are doing a reef and have a good skimmer you might think about losing the HOB filter. You woud be better served by the fuge. Stay away from the 24" aquafuge for now, there are some design issues. The 18 seems to be good.

Yep, you're right. I just measured and theres no way I can fit a fuge with the HOB filter on there.

Unfortunatly, I'm not sure what move to make next. Because this is a FO tank, I don't want to buy all the live rock I would need to scrap the filter. I don't have a sump, so where would I put carbon, etc?

I guess I'll have to think up another option.

The Grim Reefer
01/11/2004, 06:54 PM
What kind of filter and skimmer are you running?

jfloydr
01/11/2004, 08:33 PM
Can you put carbon somewhere in the fuge? How would that work if you could?

EternalNY
01/11/2004, 10:14 PM
I am almost embarrased to post my skimmer/filter combo, because I started this tank on a budget.. but here goes:

SeaClone 100 Skimmer
Penguin BioWheel 300

They do seem to be holding their own, as I have a lightly stocked FO tank. But the biowheels are causing nitrate problems.. and the skimmer could probably pull out a bit more skimmate.

jfloydr
01/11/2004, 10:19 PM
I also have a seaclone 100 and a tetratec 150 filter w/ heater. Would the Aquafuge replace the tetratec and will it hold a heater and carbon if needed?

The Grim Reefer
01/11/2004, 10:31 PM
Hey, I have a seaclown 100 on my 125. It works (but i do have a remora pro on the way). You need the filter if you aren't adding live rock IMO. You could put the small fuge on it if you just want to grow some pods and algae.

Or get a hang on overflow box and add a sump. I have a spare overflow I would sell you. you would just need a tank or sump and a return pump. Then you could put the seaclone in the sump where I think mine works better than when it was hung on the tank..

jfloydr
01/11/2004, 10:37 PM
I have 25 lbs of live rock and a 2" CC sandbed. So do I need the filter with a fuge. I also thight about the overflow box into a sump.

The Grim Reefer
01/11/2004, 11:20 PM
I don't think you need the filter with or without a fuge, maybe add a bit more rock. I suppose it gives you a little more water flow. Nice looking tank:)