PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Question

jfloydr
01/09/2004, 10:27 PM
I have a 20 gallon tank that has been set up for about 5 months now and I just got a skimmer for it. I got a Seaclone 100. I have done a lot of research and I know how much some people hate this skimmer so no need for you to post how much this thing sucks but for $60 on a 20 gallon tank I think its a good deal. My question is: It has been setup and running for about 5 hours and I'm not getting any foam yet and a lot of microbubbles. I know it has to break in but I'm new with skimmers and wanted to know how long it should take before anything reaches the collection cup. I've read that the microbubbles will go away in a couple of days but nothing on how long till I get skimmate. Thanks for any help and please no bashing

drock59
01/09/2004, 11:11 PM
mine took forever, im talking weeks and always put microbubbles back in the tank. I would reccomend gettinga cheap 20 tall as a sump and putting it in there.

jjmg
01/09/2004, 11:20 PM
Mine took about 3 days to start producing skimmate in a newly set up 20 gal with no fish and about 5 snails and 3 hermits. The rock was already cured, so there wasn't much bio load.

The microbubbles went away in about 2 days. Make sure to read the directions on how to adjust the airvalve and you should have no problems. Getting a sump defeats the purpose of the HOB IMO.

midreefer
01/09/2004, 11:36 PM
(agreed) give it time. adjust the air valve mine took a couple weeks. It is not the greatest skimmer but mine pulls the unwanted brown gunk just like the best of them. i will be upgrading soon, but of course, i have a much larger tank. it should be fine on a 20 gal. to each their own. good luck to ya :)

jfloydr
01/09/2004, 11:39 PM
Can I get rid of the ugly foam around the powerhead or will it hurt something if I remove it?