PDA

View Full Version : when should i remove the bio balls

GIXXER1000
01/08/2004, 10:10 PM
I have a 60 gallon with a 10 gallon sump. I have a amiracle sl-5 hang on wet dry with built in protein skimmer hanging on the sump. The water has been up for about a month. I am planning to remove the bio balls from the hang on and just use the skimmer and the drip plate with the filter cloth. The skimmer works great it skims lots of waste. When should i remove the bio balls wait a little long or now. Also should i replace the bio ball chamber with live rock or just leave it empty and just use the filter cloth and the drip plate.

GIXXER1000
01/09/2004, 02:26 AM
anybody?

Megalodon
01/09/2004, 02:46 AM
Put a good amount of actual LR in your tank (cured first) and start removing the bio balls slowly over time. Doing it slowly will allow the bacteria to grow elsewhere, ie., your sand and LR. I would also look into a refigum.

GIXXER1000
01/09/2004, 03:20 AM
Cool. I have about 25lbs of cured live rock in there right now so got that step done. Space is limited right now under the tank so i was thinkin of just tossin some macro alage in the sump and a small power compact. Would that do anything. Also here is my other plan. To make my old aquaclear 500 power filter into a mini fuge. With the aquaclear surface skimmer to slow the water flow. Then could i get away with taking out the sump and all the parts and adding baffles i think its a pretty easy idea.