PDA

View Full Version : Should i get a 400 watt or 250watt halide for a 60 gallon hex.

GIXXER1000
01/08/2004, 12:00 PM
Im on to my next project a 60 gallon hex tank. This baby measures 27 inches deep. I know the MH for every 2 feet so only need one. Im either going to get a 250watt 20,00k or a 400 watt 20,000k. Going 20k so it will cover the achtinic and looks more appealing. Since the hex is tall i have a good idea to make a small shelf above the tank. Then hang the halide pendant from the shef instead of the celling it will look clean and killer i think. Do you think 400watt is too much i will be able to mount it a foot from the water but is it still too much. Im looking to keep softies, hard corrals prob and maybe some clams. Id rather get more light then i need so i have it so i dont say ahh man i wish i would have paid the extra $50 so i could have clams. Then have to buy a whole new setup cause that deff sounds like me. I just dont want too much. And do you think i should get the pendant style look or the bell style look. I was thinkin pendant cause it will fit the shape of the top of the tank better. Let me know thanks.

lilbuddy
01/08/2004, 12:09 PM
IMO 250 will be fine. You are going to have a lot of heat with a the 400w IMO

midreefer
01/08/2004, 12:39 PM
I have a 60 hex also. I am too hanging a pfo halide pendant from a shelf. I went with the 250w 20k only because 400w would give off way to much heat. if you have a chiller then it would probably be ok . I would love to see pics when yours is finished. I will be posting pics to my gallary with in the next week of mine. I am curious to know your setup (equipment) since as you know hex's arnt easy :lol:
Good luck to ya!!
:rollface:

midreefer
01/08/2004, 12:44 PM
WOW just noticed you deserve a warm welcome to RC :) :wavehand: you have came to the right place

GIXXER1000
01/08/2004, 03:37 PM
Hey midreef do you have any pics of your tank. Ive only came across a few 60 gallon reef tanks. Can you also let me know some of your specs. I have the bio balls in the filter now but will be removing soon only using now till i get a new skimmer. Also going to stack live rock all the way up the back kinda like a wall reef its gonna be nice.

-10 gallon sump under tank

-Amiracle overflow

-a rio 2500 return pump for now (ball jointed )

-Amiracle sl5 hang on wet dry with built in skimmer on sump
(for now)

-40lbs live sand

-10-15lbs base rock (old dried live rock)

-so far about 20lbs live rock just orderd some

-prob just gonna wear the 250w 20k pendant you guys said

Im gonna attempt to keep clams down the road try to stack them in the rock work high up. Im getting ready to get my clean up crew. So far only living in the tank is well of course nemo himself and 4 turbo snails. For the look i want ill prob need 60lbs of rock well see how i do it. Im looking to buy a mac drive this week can sombody reccomend a good one i would need like a mac 7 or 9. Ill have the lights real soon to just hope that the live rock that i have now can stay good enought under only 45 watts of crap stock light.

:D

GIXXER1000
01/08/2004, 03:42 PM
Hey midreef i seen a couple of your photos in your gallery. Is that a Sl-5 amiracle hang on wet dry on the back of your tank with the built in skimmer. Nice rock work im kinda on the same page as you. But my some of my peices are a little smaller and my sorta comes from the middle to the back like a slope. When i get pics ill post. I think we have the same style tank mines just black. What is the exact brand of your medal halide looks like it fits perfect. Ill soon be upgrading just used some parts i had laying around to starte the cycle. LIke i will eventually get a cpr overflow, new return pump, and prob build a small hang on refuge once i get the corrals in.

midreefer
01/09/2004, 01:16 PM
Hey Gix! Sounds like you and I have a common thread :D anyways. I dont have a sump. Right now my set up is as followed:

AquaClear 408
PowerSweep 229
Fluval 204 w/surface skimmer
SeaClone 100 (To be replaced soon by an AquaC Remora Pro w/mag 350 or a CPR backpack II)
300w heater

Lighting
45W hood that came with tank
(PFO Metal Halide Mogule Base pendant
250W PFO ballast -
coralvue 250w 15k metal halide bulb on its way from salty fish online as we speak! will be installed this weekend. Will be suspending it over the tank from a shelf that I will be installing. Will have pics after complete. I am very pleased with the customer service I have received from Chris at Salty fish. His prices were incredible also. www.saltyfishonline.com

60 Gallon Hex tank
75lbs SouthDown Sand
55lbs figi LR from living seas in park ridge (chicago area)
Temp=79-80
1015 Total gallons cycled/hour

Live Stock
1 red leg hermit
1 blue leg hermit
1 Pixi hawk
2 Percula Clowns
1 Sabae anenome
1 Molly Miller Blenny
handful of varius algae snails
1 Sand star
Button polyps Small (5) colony (hitchhikers on LR) (red outer;blue inner)
1 Lettered Olive snail (dark green)

I have pics in my gallary. will be posting more soon. as far as the rock work goes I made a pvc support for the rocks and the built the rock work on that. That way I have flow all around the rocks. There isnt any touching any glass at all. It also alows for no "dead spots" in the tank. I hope to see some photos of your tank. I have been looking a long time for somone with a hex tank when I first started I was a little lost on how to do the aquascaping. But i got alot of info and advise from members. I too hope to have a clam or 2. I am on hold with live stock until I get my lighting up and running. I just got the anenome a couple days ago so it should be ok for a few days without intense light. (i hope) anyways good luck and let me know how it goes.

midreefer
01/09/2004, 01:33 PM
have a link for ya. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=278214

thread has another person with a 42 gal hex. the rock work is just awesome.