PDA

View Full Version : Power Outages, GFCI, etc .. assistance pls

rcraig
01/06/2004, 11:30 PM
I'm a tad embarassed to ask this, but after reading the entire GFCI thread, I want to make sure I have a better understanding on power outages. At this point, I have my Mag-Drive Utility Pump (Model 3 350 GPH), 200W Rena Cal Basic Submersible heater, and my Powersweep 228 plugged into a portable GFCI outlet. If the power were to go out (it WILL happen here in Central Florida :smokin: ) would everything remain off when the power kicks back in? Furthermore, even if everything turns back on, aren't I going to loose flow? (I have an overflow with a U tube going to the hang on filter in the back on the aquarium which I had to siphon to get started). I know this is probably a simple question, but this newbie would rather ask now versus a disaster later! :rollface:

Many Thanks!!!

hdtran
01/06/2004, 11:40 PM
Unplug your portable GCFI (or throw the breaker that controls its outlet). See if you have a siphon box with a self-starting feature, and if your water levels are correctly set.

Then, replug in the GCFI (or throw the breaker on again). See if the GCFI starts again, or if it stays off. My experience with portable GCFI boxes is that you need to physically push the "test" button to turn them off, and plugging/unplugging doesn't turn them off, but that's my brand... You also get to see if the siphon starts automatically or if your pump empties the sump into the main tank.

If you have a sump, there are two tests that you NEED to do to minimize the risk of a flood: (1) Stop the overflow/siphon. Run the sump pump until dry. Does your main tank flood? It shouldn't. (2) Unplug the sump pump, but leave the overflow running. When the main tank drains to the overflow level, does the sump flood? Again, the answer should be no. (This also tests your antisiphon hole in your return line if you're running a spray bar in the tank).

rcraig
01/06/2004, 11:57 PM
What you say in regards to testing the water levels makes perfect sense, but I'll wait to test this tomorrow (just so I don't wake the wife with "accidental" cusing). I am still a tad hazy on 2 points. 1) a siphon box with a self-starting feature ... is this something that I can eye-ball now and tell if I have it? ... 2) antisiphon hole in return line ... I have clear tubing coming from my pump up the back of the aquarium to an adjustable black head that is submerged just below the water in the tank. Is there some type of hole that should be present? I have turned the valve off on this head before and seen water seep out of a hole. Is this what you are describing?

Thanks again!

Reefmedic79
01/07/2004, 12:35 AM
As far as I know a GFCI only trips if there is a power surge going back to the plug and technically an outage doesn't cause a surge unless the outage is caused by a bolt of lightning striking near your houseor a major malfunction with you power provider. Unless for example when the power kicks back on that may be enough of a surge to trip it.

Also what part of Central Florida are you from?

hdtran
01/07/2004, 01:45 AM
Actually, GFCI's don't trip on surges. They trip on current flowing between neutral & ground line (there should be none). Circuit breakers will trip on surges, depending on duration & amount of surge.

Self-restarting siphons: yes, easy to determine by just looking. Look at the lifereef siphon boxes; they incorporate a self-restarting feature. Verbal description won't work, best to see a picture.

Anti-back-siphon-hole: Easy to tell by just looking, but again, sorry, hard to describe without a photo. You just have to test... Best way to prevent back siphon with the return is to have the return above the display main water level, so return water splashes down into tank. Of course, that gives you salt creep... So if you install your return so it's, say 1/8" above the main tank level, in an outage, the tank water cannot flow back the return line into the sump. It'll continue flowing into your overflow until the level hits the bottom of the overflow grate. This amount of water, hopefully, can be stored in the sump....

Best of luck.

MalHavoc
01/07/2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by hdtran
Actually, GFCI's don't trip on surges. They trip on current flowing between neutral & ground line (there should be none). Circuit breakers will trip on surges, depending on duration & amount of surge.

Actually, not quite. GFCIs examine the current flowing in through the hot line, and the current flowing out through the neutral line. They should be equal. If there is a difference of more than 5 mA, the current is "leaking" some place and the GFCI trips. This is why a GFCI doesn't need to be grounded to work. As long as the current is going some place other than the neutral line, it'll trip.