PDA

View Full Version : Just poured in new sand and water is cloudy. Is this going to be a problem?

CIMulation
01/06/2004, 09:49 PM
Will this hurt anything?

bbeck
01/06/2004, 09:53 PM
Assuming you have nothing else in the tank, then no it won't. I have Southdown and my skimmer pulled a lot out of the tank. It took a week or more.

I then added an AquaClear 500 on the front with an additional microfiber pad and pulled a lot out. I had to clean it every two hours.

HTH,

Brad

mikedenton49
01/06/2004, 10:03 PM
I added 6 20lb bgs to my 55. The first bag turned my water just like yours. Then I did something most men won't I read and followed the directions. It says to rinse the sand a few pounds at a time before putting in tank. What I did was add a filter such as fine mesh cloth to my filter intake and clean it every few hours. It will go away with time.

enforcer8621
01/06/2004, 11:14 PM
I freaked out with the same problem. Give it time and it will be fine.

xeon
01/06/2004, 11:45 PM
I've filled two tanks with Southdown Sand on the bottom. The first time I just filled it up with water and had a sand storm that lasted a week or better. The next time I used a bowl on top of the sand and pumped the water in with a Mag5 into the bowl and it was clear almost from the get go. I know how I'm filling all my tanks from now on. I think I saw someone mention laying a plastic trash bag over the sand and filling like that. Basically as the water rises, it takes the bag with it. Never tried it, but it sounds legit.

CIMulation
01/07/2004, 01:18 AM
:( The bad thing is is that there are fish and inverts in there. So is it still ok? For future reference, how do I introduce new sand into the tank without this problem?

koj11
01/07/2004, 01:51 AM
To add sand without a sandstorm to a tank filled with water, just take a 2" or so wide length of pvc or some sort of tubing, stick a funnel on top, put the other end on your sand bed, and pour VERY slowly.

El negrito
01/07/2004, 02:40 AM
The tubing and funnel method has worked well with me and the frase very slowly just cant be stresed enugh specialy in an established tank.

InnsmouthLook
01/07/2004, 02:56 AM
I just added 50 lbs of Southdown on Sunday to a new tank with just saltwater and it is still cloudy as hell. From what I have read this is all normal but it really freaked me out too. Only problem is the white chalky film that now covers everything. Is the filter and skimmer going to eventually get rid of this stuff?

CIMulation
01/07/2004, 03:29 AM
Is this bad for fish or inverts, because I have some in the tank.

El negrito
01/07/2004, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by InnsmouthLook
I just added 50 lbs of Southdown on Sunday to a new tank with just saltwater and it is still cloudy as hell. From what I have read this is all normal but it really freaked me out too. Only problem is the white chalky film that now covers everything. Is the filter and skimmer going to eventually get rid of this stuff?

You will have to use a turkey blaster to get rid of the chalky film.

deputydog95
01/07/2004, 06:41 AM
your pump may take a beating. i just blew the seal on my dolphin from a similar situation.

xeon
01/07/2004, 10:20 AM
The sand storm should not bother your fish or inverts. IMO this is something that can and does occur in the ocean from time to time. You should use a turkey baster on the rocks as it settles. I assume you have a fully cycled tank since you have fish and inverts in there, so the floating sand molecules should get weighted down with bacteria and settle much faster than a new setup would.