PDA

View Full Version : MH installation

LIREEF
01/06/2004, 01:47 PM
I need to know if there is a way to setup a MH on a stand as opposed to hanging? Is this possible, if so, how?

stevemc
01/06/2004, 07:00 PM
I have built hoods that are about 8-10 inches tall and they work fine. 10 inches works best. 12 inches could work too. I use fans from Radio Shack to pull in air and blow it out other end. I mount the sockets just off the ceiling of the hood, about 1 1/2 inch. The bulbs are maybe 5 inches from water. You can get reflectors or use a reflecting paint such as bright silver, or use mirrors etc. I also use VHO bulbs with the MH bulbs. There are also some hoods sold which have MH bulbs. Steve.

Qdoggie
01/06/2004, 07:59 PM
I was actually just trying to come up with the same type of set up. I planned on running wood from the stand directly to support a canopy that would sit about 8"from the top of the tank. The wood could be fitted to form a corner, an "L" shape, on each corner of the tank. Both pieces could be something like a 1x2. The canopy would be high enough to cover the light set up. Just a thought and its still in the works. I have to run it by my cabinet guy... Let me know if you find something.

LIREEF
01/06/2004, 08:49 PM
I would love to do something like that and I have already thought about that. My problem is a little more difficult in that I have a corner tank. It may be too difficult to create a canopy for that. I would want to try and keep the curve to the tank.

Qdoggie
01/07/2004, 06:10 AM
Why wouldnt you. Just have three instead of 4 supports. You might have to mount the light slightly to the rear for balance???? I Dont know..

Philip Parrott
01/07/2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by LIREEF
I would love to do something like that and I have already thought about that. My problem is a little more difficult in that I have a corner tank. It may be too difficult to create a canopy for that. I would want to try and keep the curve to the tank.

I'm going through the same thing. I just bought a used 54gal off of a buddy for $125 (tank/stand/glasstop/HOTMag/wimpy lights/etc) and I'm really not sure how to make a MH/VHO canopy for it. I'm really considering turning my 75gal African Cichlid into my reef tank. It's so much easier to make a canopy but the added size will require 2 MH instead of 1 MH. Any ideas or recommendations?

mikester
01/07/2004, 11:13 AM
I had HQI pendants over my tank and recently built a wooden pendant to hold the MH pendants and some VHO actinics. This is how I mounted it over my tank:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid97/pf0a76bf7e274b9ce5f6a1dc30d8c2e29/fa121adc.jpg

The 2 chains in the middle are leftover chains from the original pendants - I just added them for additional support until I was sure the brackets would hold, and will eventually remove them. The brackets are the Closetmaid closet organizer parts they sell at Lowes (you can get equivalent stuff at HD).

Oh, and ignore the ugly edges of the pendant - I haven't finished staining and attaching the edge moulding yet. ;)