PDA

View Full Version : My bio-balls, is this unusual? (pics)

blaze422
01/05/2004, 01:23 AM
I have had the same bio-balls for a little more than 3 years, is this unusual? My water is pretty good, but my nitrates are always around 20, maybe this is why?

-I am getting ready to take out these bio-balls slowly, just wanted some opinions.

Johnnyfishkiller
01/05/2004, 01:25 AM
Could be the problem. Remove them a little at a time to allow the rest of the tank to make up for the loss of bio filter area.

thedude
01/05/2004, 01:50 AM
Bioballs are generally equated with higher nitrates. I believe it has to do with the speed that the wastes are broken down. I forget the exact reason, it's been awhile.

John's suggestion was good. I'm assuming you have liverock, protein skimmer, etc. The liverock will makeup for the lost filtration from the bioballs. Be sure to do it slowly.

You might also look to other means of reducing the nitrates - DSB, refugium with macroalgae, water changes. That level of nitrate in a reef is asking for algae troubles.

Johnnyfishkiller
01/05/2004, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by thedude
Bioballs are generally equated with higher nitrates. I believe it has to do with the speed that the wastes are broken down. I forget the exact reason, it's been awhile.

Nitrates are broken down into nitrogen in an anaerobic environment. You can't get an anaerobic environment in bio balls. At least that's what I remember.

thedude
01/05/2004, 02:14 AM
Correct, nitrates do need an anaerobic environment to convert. Bioballs are definitely not that.

The problem with bioballs is they are an incomplete cycle - amm -> nitrite -> nitrate, but that is all. There isn't any conversion from nitrate -> nitrogen gas. Thus the 'trates show up in the test.

It isn't that the bioballs cause more 'trates, but the anaerobes in the LR can't break it down until the water gets into the LR. If the LR is acting as the filter, the water is already in proximity to the anaerobes and the 'trates are processed.

Or so the theory goes.......

blaze422
01/05/2004, 02:21 AM
I have plenty of liverock and skimming, I was just wondering if this crap on my bioballs is normal or is it a sign of a nitrate factory?

thedude
01/05/2004, 02:37 AM
Stuff will get caught on the balls, that is also one of the downsides. They are considered to be a detritus trap.

Take them out. Since you have LR you don't really need them. Use the sump space for something else - bigger protein skimmer, some live rock for pods, carbon, etc.

blaze422
01/05/2004, 02:43 AM
I have about 200 pounds of good live rock in a 130 gallon tank plus a good big skimmer, do u think it would be ok to take half out now and half out in a week?

thedude
01/05/2004, 11:31 AM
Well, I'm pretty conservative and like the slow approach for reef tanks. I would do a third/week. 3 weeks gives things a little more time to catchup, and avoids the chances for ammonia to spike.

Scuba_Dave
01/05/2004, 11:42 AM
For 3 years I would say that is normal. Some sellers (of course) advocate getting new ones every year. I had some from a system that was running for 2 years, I simply cleaned & scrubbed them. I no longer use them, they are just sitting in a bucket de-nitrifying the air :)
I removed mine slowly over about a 3 week period as I added LR