PDA

View Full Version : new to reef need help

mountian72
01/04/2004, 11:03 PM
this is my first reef tank let me know what you think of my list
for my 55gl. reef tank
finger leather soft coral-sinularia sp.
yellow polyp--------------parazoanthus axinella
star polyp-----------------clavularia sp.
christmas tree -----------studeriotes sp.
red mushroom------------actinodiscus sp.
blue mush room----------" "
star green polyp----------clavularia sp.
green finger soft----------sinularia sp.
young soft coral-----------cladiella sp.
chilli cactus soft coral-----nephthyigorgia sp.
torch coral------------------euphyllia glabrescens
yello tang
firefish goby
tank raised maroon clown
pajama cardinal
neon damsel
50lb. live rock(fiji)
3skunk shrimp
3 peperment shrimp
sally light foot
emerald crab
100gl. sump pump with skimmer
40lb. bio active reef sand
all water and coral test kits
10,000k 260watt lights ooops:lol:

bmwardo
01/04/2004, 11:08 PM
You may want some lights for those corals you plan on adding ;)And Welcome to Reef Central!
You may want to stay away from the Damsel also

chaseracing
01/04/2004, 11:10 PM
You have a lot of shrimp. You won't need that many, but if you like them, then go for it!

-=E=-

Puffers
01/04/2004, 11:15 PM
I assume neon damsel is green chromie? Other than that looks good, lights may help.:D

Mariner
01/04/2004, 11:38 PM
http://reefcentral.com/images/welcome.gif
TO REEF CENTRAL

It looks like you've been doing your homework :) Wish I'd done as much before I dove in ;)
Is your lighting Normal Output fluorescent, PC or VHO or ? 260 watts will probably be enough for most all of the corals you have listed, even if you have just NO fluorescent.
Your list of corals looks very good -- beautiful, easy to keep and compatible, except perhaps for the last two.
I don't know much about nephthyigorgia sp., but torch coral-euphyllia glabrescens is of course not a true soft coral, and it can be sensitive to the excretions of soft corals, such as sinularia.
Good luck putting this together.
Mariner

mountian72
01/04/2004, 11:45 PM
thanks for all the welcome advice the torch was a intended for my clown my wife loved to watch the one we had before in its anemone is there any better coral for this

Puffers
01/07/2004, 09:08 PM
I have heard of some clowns using frogspawns or even green star polyps. Might have to look at the size of clown in relation to the coral you want him/her in. IMO you want a slightly bigger coral than clown so they don't kill it by smothering it.;)

Mariner
01/07/2004, 10:50 PM
is there any better coral for this
Don't know about "better" but I have seen clowns use many different corals as hosts, including toadstool leathers (sarcophyton), GSP's, xenia and even a large feather duster.
HTH,
Mariner

DLS
01/07/2004, 10:57 PM
You may want to reconsider the tang, it will probably end up outgrowing your tank. As far as clown hosting, I've heard some stories about torch corals being damages by some clowns. Hopefully this isn't the case, but either way you only get so much say on what the clown choose to host in. :D

Puffers
01/12/2004, 04:45 PM
If all the fish and corals would just read all these great books out there we would not have this problem! lol:D