PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Porcelain Crab

Synger
07/15/2001, 07:14 PM
Greetings,

A coworker noticed me constantly carrying reef books to the break room and to lunch and wrongly assumed I was some kind of authority. I feel a little bad for the guy because he has gotten taken in several directions by a lfs. He has no web access so he was pretty much at the mercy of what he considered to be a kind and knowledgeable shop owner. For the time being I've loaned him 3/4 of my reef library and tried to explain to him that running a chiller to keep your tank at 70F to "slow metabolism" is not necessarily the best way to go. But I digress.......

The reason he approached me was because on his last rather large live rock he had a hitch hiker. I have identified it as a Spotted Porcelain Crab. In his tank he also has an open brain, a devils hand, yellow tube sponge, 3 types of shrimp, red leg hermits, unidentified anemone, 3 yellow tangs, 5 blue chromies, and a watchmen goby. The tank is a 125g bow front and it appears to be well lit. He actually has an Ecosystem sump that has kept his water in good shape. My immediate question is about this porcelain crab. I've found very little about them in particular. In The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner they are referred to as "peaceful". What does that mean? Are they reef Safe? Will it damage his coral, or kill his fish? Please clarify......

Thanks for your time,

Jim

Guy
07/15/2001, 08:25 PM
They are totally "peaceful". The are planktonic filter feeders. They are fully capable of defending themselves but will not use the claws to eat.

ZippyBoy
07/15/2001, 08:38 PM
and they sell for $25 in NYC :D

Guy
07/15/2001, 09:18 PM
I just now snapped a pic of a couple of my porcelain crabs. Does the one you saw resemble these? I have at least 6 of them.

http://home.eznet.net/~terry10/critters/porcelain%20pair.jpg

Synger
07/15/2001, 09:35 PM
That's the creature in question. You got a cool neon effect in your picture though..........NICE......:D

Jim

GOOD (G)REEF
07/16/2001, 10:58 AM
Yeah man these are the coolest! I want to get one to live in my anemone with my pair of clowns! You have to feed them with stuff like DT's though, because they are filter feeders as was stated above. If you do not feed them, it is quie possible they may not survive, depending upon your tank and how much food is already floating in the water column.

skylsdale
07/16/2001, 01:48 PM
GOOD (G)REEF, I actually read a post the other day on another BB and the person said that the clowns booted the porcelain crab that had been living in an anemone. I guess they don't really like to share...

Guy
07/16/2001, 01:52 PM
I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think the reds ones live in anemone. I think the white/beige ones do....

skylsdale
07/16/2001, 03:02 PM
I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think the reds ones live in anemone. I think the white/beige ones do....

That's what I thought, too....I've never seen the red ones before this post. Just thought that maybe I was learning something;)

GOOD (G)REEF
07/16/2001, 03:04 PM
I wasn't aware that there were two types of them. You must be right.

Guy
07/16/2001, 03:12 PM
I had 4 of the lined up the other night, I missed the photo opportunity though :( THAT would have been really cool. They LOVE flake food....