PDA

View Full Version : Dolphin pump users: intake filters?

Do any of you guys using Dolphin pumps use a foam filter on the intake ??

I was reading over the info sheet that came along with my new Dolphin Aquasea 4500 and noticed their insistence on using a foam filter over the intake on the pump to prevent "sediment" in the water from damaging the impeller and seals. They stated that this type of damage was easily recognizable and not covered by warrant.

I remember trying a foam intake filter on one of my first filter sumps years ago and I hated it. It had to be clean almost every other day, or the pump would start to cavitate badly.

I'm not sure exactly what they mean by sediment. I could see how gravel, crushed coral, or sand could definitely wreck an impeller, but the way my sump is set up, there really is not any chance of any of those getting into the intake. I would be surprised if the very fine sediments that collect in the bottom of my sump would do any damage, but this is my first direct drive centrifugal pump. Are direct drive pumps and their seals more sensitive to sediments in the water than mag drive pumps like Little Giant's and Iwaki's?

Thanks,
Mike

Mako
07/15/2001, 05:31 PM
Yep, read the same thing on my AM3000 spec. sheet. No way I am doing that though. If it becomes a problem later on down the road then so be it, but I will not put a foam pre-filter in front of this pump.