PDA

View Full Version : How low can S/G go?

Richard Tester
01/03/2004, 11:11 PM
I just got my tank moved and finally set up about an hour ago. I made a huge mistake on this adventure. I forgot I was almost out of salt. When I moved I removed my DSB and that made alot of room for move water. I planned on this and got plenty of r.o. ready. But duh. no salt. Anyway -- after all is said and done I now have a tank temp. of 77 deg. and rising slowly. and S/G of a whopping 1.019 -- I can't get anymore salt tonight. I a very nervous person to say the least. I am acclamating the fish down to the current S/G but I am still nervous. All seems ok so far I am just waiting on the sand storm to settle. So what do you think I should do? Do you guys think my stuff should be ok?

Thanks

DgenR8
01/03/2004, 11:32 PM
What kind of "stuff" are we talking about?

racrumrine
01/03/2004, 11:35 PM
For what it's worth, I think you'll be OK. The fish seem to tolerate a range from 1.009 to at least 1.025. Though changes should occur gradually.

If you have live rock and inverts, I think they'll be OK at 1.019 though they would prefer a higher SG.

Best of luck,

Roy

roberts722
01/03/2004, 11:37 PM
If you have no corals I think all will be okay as well.

Richard Tester
01/03/2004, 11:38 PM
I have a few montipora digatata (sp) -- I don't think I could kill that stuff on perpous though. some hairy type mushrooms a finger leather and some other unidentified soft coral. -- I really worry about the snails. I have read from previous searches that snial do not take to well to shifts is S/G. I think the fish will be ok though.

DgenR8
01/04/2004, 12:05 AM
Snails and shrimp are probably your biggest worry. Fish should handle it okay, as long as we're not talking about delicate species.

Richard Tester
01/04/2004, 12:10 AM
two percs and a coral beauty -- OK so tomorrow I go get more salt. -- How long do I need to take to get the S/G back to what it should be?

DgenR8
01/04/2004, 12:28 AM
Do it slowly! Just add salted water for top off instead of fresh until you get back to where you want to be.

Richard Tester
01/04/2004, 08:37 AM
that is what I was thinking

thanks Larry

Richard Tester
01/11/2004, 09:29 AM
Ok -- here I am a week later -- all the animals are dooing ok and I have gotten the S/G up considerably. I have used no addetives yet. I was going to mix up some fresh Kalk and start dripping it but I tested the water and want to ask the reef gods for help.

I checked the water this morning befor the lights came on.
PH 8.0
ALK 3.2 meq. (i don't know how to convert to dkh)
CAL 500 (red sea test I don't trust)
TEMP 77
S/G 1.024 (working my way up slowly)

Should I do anything to this water? I don't really think I should.

befor the move every time I checked the cal. I cam up with a riddiculous number sometimes above 800ppm. I just decide the test kit was junk and occassionally I would try it (one a month). always a stupid high number. The alk and ph were always pretty constant. at about 8.1ph and +/-3.0 meq alk. After todays test I am starting to wonder though. 500 is much more reasonable. I wonder If my massive water changing has done good things. I hope so.

What should I do with this unit.

Richard Tester
01/11/2004, 06:24 PM
well I hate to bump my own post but I need the advice.

;)

hdtran
01/11/2004, 06:36 PM
Please don't convert the alkalinity. You're reporting the units, which is the important part (anyway, I prefer meq/L). Normal seawater runs between 2 & 3 meq/L, so 3.2 is plenty fine. Some reef aquarists like to have higher alkalinity (4-6 meq) for greater buffering capacity, but that's not crucial.

Calcium normal range is 350-450 ppm, so 500 ppm is fine.

Richard Tester
01/11/2004, 06:40 PM
Thanks man -- So I should just let it ride -- I see no reason to add anything to the tank that is not necessay.

Thanks,