PDA

View Full Version : sick clownfish

firechild
07/15/2001, 03:07 AM
I have a pair of Amphiprion latezonatus which have recently become quite sick. Their eyes have gone very cloudy and slightly bulged. Their scales are also pale. They are still eating but I think they are having trouble seeing the food as they seem to miss a lot of food. I think 1 is very close to dying. None of the other fish or corals are sick. Any suggestions? Urgent!
Cheers,
Aaron

Terry B
07/15/2001, 02:33 PM
My first question is are these wildcaught fish? Wildcaught clowns often have Brooklynella. The best treatment is a formalin dip for 45 minutes every other day for a total of three treatments. THis infection kills quickly. If you don't know how to dip them ask first because it is dangerous but effective.
Terry B

FMarini
07/15/2001, 07:12 PM
Hi:
This is troubling for sure.
While it maybe brooknelynella, you also appear to have a secondary bacterial infection which has jumped on board. Cloudy eyes are usually an indicator of this problem, the bulging could be the bacterial infection as well. I would do what was recommended by Terry (and please ask if you've never dipped before), once you've got the primary problem licked, then the bacterial infection is next to treat. You might be lucky if you fish continue to eat then they will maintain their health, and hopefully make it thru.
keep us posted
frank

firechild
07/15/2001, 07:35 PM
I have never dipped before so how do I do it?
Also I would be surprised if they make it through the day.
I was thinking it could be a fungus Ichthyosporidium sp. (thats not Ich).

firechild
07/15/2001, 08:00 PM
Don't worry, they died.:(