PDA

View Full Version : Bristleworms....Yea

Stars360
07/14/2001, 01:11 PM
Hey doc just wanted to give you an update on how everything is going in my tank since getting the detrivore kit and starting the refugium. Well first of all i have not one spot of cyano anywhere in my tank.... i am so happy about that. and whenever i feed my corals (coral heaven from ipsf) i have seen a couple of bristle worms of various sizes come out of my live rock and kind of cruise around eating all of the detritious and food off of the live rock. Then when i feed my refugium (once a week or so.. is that a good idea) i see a bunch of bristle worms come out and about some from under the sand others from out of the rock... wow i am so pleased about that...:D. I just never ever see any other worms, i got the mama mia worms... have never seen them since they were introduced into the tank, and whatever other type of worms i got from the wonder mud and LSA.

I do however see this one type of worm that i have seen a bunch of times and has now multiplied into like 3 or 4. It only comes out at night and mostly from the area where i have that red alga i sent you and from where my star polyps are. it is a long thin worm (as thin as a piece of thread, or thinner) and it looks kinda feathery. it usually just hangs out all night just waving in the water... i have no clue what it is. And as soon as you shine a flashlight on it, boom it retracts... do you have any clue..

well that is my update for you ....

brian

p.s. my strombs grazers have laid about 16 egg sacs or so...:D i feel like i am a daddy..lol

rshimek
07/15/2001, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Stars360

Hi Brian,

I just never ever see any other worms, i got the mama mia worms... have never seen them since they were introduced into the tank, and whatever other type of worms i got from the wonder mud and LSA.

Most of these other worms live permanently buried in the mud, so's I wouldn't expect that you would see them.

I do however see this one type of worm that i have seen a bunch of times and has now multiplied into like 3 or 4. It only comes out at night and mostly from the area where i have that red alga i sent you and from where my star polyps are. it is a long thin worm (as thin as a piece of thread, or thinner) and it looks kinda feathery. it usually just hangs out all night just waving in the water... i have no clue what it is. And as soon as you shine a flashlight on it, boom it retracts... do you have any clue..

Describe its structure. If it is feathery are the branches from both sides or just one side?

well that is my update for you ....

Sounds good. Glad to hear things are progressing well.

:D

Stars360
07/15/2001, 05:27 PM
it appears that the worm is feathery from all sides, 360 degrees around it... that is the only real distinguishing thing about it...

i have also been noticing lil white worms on the glass not to sure what they are, and ever since i started to feed my refugium about twice a week i have seen a lot more pods, and worms..

one more question i have been seeing these things in my main tank and origionally thought ( for some stupid reason ) that they were clown eggs that did not develope. Well anyways this is what they look like. they are white, really small maybe a cm if that, they are attached to either rock, or my powerheads, they come to a rounded top, and then from about the center of that rounded top they have like three lil things sticking out. if that does not help i will try to describe it a lil better

thanks again doc;) :D :o

rshimek
07/16/2001, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Stars360

Hi Brian,

it appears that the worm is feathery from all sides, 360 degrees around it... that is the only real distinguishing thing about it...

I think this may be a hydroid, and if so it may become quite a pest. I just posted some pictures of it under "digitate hydroid" on the oddities page on my my web site, but it will be a while before the site is published.

i have also been noticing lil white worms on the glass not to sure what they are, and ever since i started to feed my refugium about twice a week i have seen a lot more pods, and worms..

Probably harmless flatworms.

they are white, really small maybe a cm if that, they are attached to either rock, or my powerheads, they come to a rounded top, and then from about the center of that rounded top they have like three lil things sticking out. if that does not help i will try to describe it a lil better

I think you will have give me more data on this, I have a guess what you mean, but am not sure. A centimeter is just shy of 1/2 in, perhaps you mean millimeter?

:D

Stars360
07/16/2001, 06:17 PM
thanks doc, please keep me updated for when your site it ready so i can see those pics, if it does happen to be them how can i get rid of them...

anyways, now tha ti look at it better i would have to say that maybe it is like a 1/4 of an inch or so, maybe a lil bigger but i dont have a ruller to judge it by...