PDA

View Full Version : Valonia Problem, Fuge maybe?

AQUAH0LIC
01/01/2004, 11:51 PM
My tank has been up and running for about a year now, look below to see a description of it. Im still having some problems with algae and diatoms outbreaks. I added a 9w coralife UV sterilizer which pretty much stopped the diatom problem for some reason. But im still getting valonia and green algae alot. My Kole Tang and LM Blenny do a pretty good job of keeping things trimmmed up but still my coralline hasnt taken off yet and im starting to get ticked. I keep my Ca at 450 and Alk 9-11 by dripping Kalk continously, pH 8.4. Ive never had a problem with nitrates, silicates, or phosphates, my RODI works good. SOOOO

I scored some chaeto and threw it in my sump and tossed a Lights of America bulb over it hoping that it will sop up whatever nutrients the valonia/green algae is using. Should this work? What else can I do to get my coralline to take off? I have a T.Maxima and T. Squamosa in there growing like weeds so I think my tank is pretty healthy. Some advice for a tough young reefer who wants to stick with this would be great!

rbattle
01/02/2004, 02:05 AM
More grazers and time are your two friends in this situation. However, manual removal of valonia is about the only way to get rid of the bubbles that you can see.....the grazers help with the very very small just started bubbles. Hope this helps.

Rush

bergzy
01/02/2004, 06:11 AM
i had a couple of bubbles in my office tank. i decided to get rid of them by popping them. now, there are a bazillion of them.

looks like a fox face to the rescue for that tank.

then i noticed my 125g had one bubble growing (this is before i got a fuge going).

what i did was get a little bigger so i could handle it better. next, i got my wife to hold a 1/2 inch tubing closely above it. started the siphon then got my little swiss army knife and tried to pry it off the rock as gently as possible without bursting it. it popped BUT i think whatever spores were released was sucked up by the siphon.

now my fuge is up and running and mature. i have no more algae problems whatsoever. i agree with rbattle, it takes time for a reef to mature.