PDA

View Full Version : 30 gallon, sump and overflow???

ruuskystar
01/01/2004, 01:28 PM
I'm new to the site and new to the salt water hobbie, but have kept a fresh water tank for a few years now, probably going on five.

I finally after wanting to for years have the chance to setup a reef tank so I'm just going to go for it and leave the fresh fish world behind for a new challenge.

I have a 30 gallon viewing tank and a 20 gallon which would be used as the sump. The 30 is empty so I can pretty much do whatever I want with it. I have 2x65w pc and a prizm protein skimmer (bought off friend for cheap, I know I know) and the usual other tank essentials. I also have a biowheel filter and an aqua clear 200 filter with media, not sure if i need these or not.

I have been reading on this site constantly and all the other reef/marine sites since I have found them. I have also been reading many books as I don't like to jump into anything without getting a good base for it before hand. which is why im asking these questions before I even add a drop of water to my tank.

My questions is if I have room only for a 30 gallon show tank and a 20 gallon sump/refugium is it worth it for me to get the 30 gallon drilled and do an overflow system with a sump? If so what would be more beneficial to me? an internal or an external and how would I go about doing both as well as sump design?

I have seen how an internal overflow works, but a 30 gallon tank is somewhat small, and I have no idea how to build an internal overflow securily in my tank. That would mean I'd have to get the bottom or back drilled also which makes me wonder how the piping would be rigged with the tank on a stand for bottom hole? cut a hole in the table for pipe to go through?

I have seen hang on overflows at LFS, but they are all quite high in price and don't know enough about them to make a purchase.

also wondering for my 20 gallon if i were to make it a sump how to go about making it the best possible system for my tank. I know any extra amount of water in the whole system is beneficial, but what can I do to make it filter itself ex. adding live rock? sand bed? algae?? etc...and what means do I get the water back up to the show tank? I have also seen many sumps divided, say first section water comes in with heater and skimmer there, second section where sand, live rock, algae, lighting is, and third where water gets back pumped up to main tank. is this the best design for a simple sump and how does the water move between the different sections??...

anyways that is alot of questions for now, hope someone can give me some insight on these

thanks in advance

wizardgus®
01/03/2004, 12:33 PM
Wow! That is a lot of questions for a start! Well, first off...
[welcome]
Next, I know Amiracle makes a small pre-filter (over-flow) that would be a good size for your set-up, appx. $50 here in the States. I don't think I would go with the drilling and reto-fitting that tank myself, but that's up to you.

Next, for a return pump a Mag7 would be plenty. That's what I used when I had a 29g reef with a 10g refugium.

For the sump what I have done is get a piece of glass cut that will just fit inside the tank, but make it 2" shorter than the tank. Use aquarium silicone to put this in place as a divider. Then you can put your skimmer and filter on one side and your return pump, LR, LS and Macro algae on the other. HTH

ruuskystar
01/03/2004, 02:29 PM
thanks wizardgus for the reply,

let me ask you, first off why wouldn't you go about drilling the tank ???... any specific reason, as I have found that most people I talk to suggest to drill the tank. Some people say it's not worth it for a 30 gallon tank, but I think it is, because for me it's not the outcome of a successful reef that matters, but more the process to how I got there. I want to understand how to keep a reef and know why I do the things I do. Hope you understand what I mean.

Also, the peice that divided the sump tank, is this installed so there is a space under or over top it? would you suggest making into three compartments or just two?

thanks for the reply and the nice welcome to the site. I've been reading non stop on a bunch of marine reef forums to get as much info as I can. this really is an invaluable resource.

thanks again

wizardgus®
01/03/2004, 05:05 PM
On the drilling, that was JMO. If you have the inclination to do it...why not? I'm just not a fan of it myself.

As for divisions, space is at the top. For one tank I just put one so skimmer and filter are on the first part, fuge and return line on the second. I now have a seperate tank for sump. That one is divided into 3 areas. First is for the inflow and is covered to lessen spray, second is for equipment, third is for return line. Fuge is seperate tank that overflows into the sump. I made second divider an inch lower than the first so there is always a difference in levels.

ruuskystar
01/03/2004, 05:11 PM
thanks for teh reply,

I'm still learning alot, but is a fuge necessary and how much does it add to the filtration of the tank? In your opinion would it be that beneficial?