PDA

View Full Version : help!! noisy skimmer

craigb315
12/29/2003, 09:23 PM
I am a newbie who is having problems with a noisy skimmer/ return. As you can see in the picture my retrun box is small (total depth of 8"). I have read some the suggestions about using a Durso standpipe but the plans I have found seem to apply to a deeper return skimmer. Would any of you have any suggestions or tips to help me wiith this before my wife pulls the plug!!!

KrakenSeas
12/29/2003, 09:44 PM
I had the same overflow. A durso worked great for me. Just slip the "U" part over the pvc in there already.

CCG
12/29/2003, 09:53 PM
Do a search for Stockmen stand pipe. They seem to be more popular for hang on overflows.

Colin

craigb315
12/29/2003, 10:05 PM
how tall was the "U" part you made? In other words how far above the existing PVC should I go?

d_j_adams
01/01/2004, 08:31 PM
I have had the same problem. Here is my quick scenario.

Setup my new 70 gal RR in my bedroom and as soon as I started the pumps the gurgeling was tremendous. I turned the inlet valve going to the pump down to only about 25% flow which was tolerable through the night. I have been searching for about two weeks until I found this thread. I looked at the link above and thought it was worth a shot. After $7.00 in supplies at Lowes and 10 minutes to change it out....No more noises and the pump is running on 100% flowrate.

Thanks to all