PDA

View Full Version : DIY RO storage tank

Machiavelli
12/28/2003, 10:57 PM
Anyone know if this is possible? For those who have a storage tank, how does it work?

I doubt it is just a metal tank with a place to screw in a tube at the top, since the air pressure would build up as the water was pumped in and create backpressure and stop the RO unit relatively quickly.

So, I'm a bit broke this holiday season and am looking for a way of setting up my own. :D

MrSandman
12/28/2003, 11:29 PM
I just use a 32 gallon trash can. Its nice and cheap. Why the need for something fancy?

Machiavelli
12/29/2003, 02:15 PM
Well, I'm looking for a way to automatically stop the flow from the RO unit when the container is full. My RO unit is under the sink, so I cant really use an oversized container.

MrSandman
12/29/2003, 02:20 PM
You can always use a float switch like this:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=SP5131

Hook it up inline to your RO/DI unit and it will shut down your RO/DI when the water gets to a certain level. You don't necessarily need to use this on a container. Many people just hook it up directly to their tank.

As for me, i prefer not to do something like this because if the switch fails, then your tank is hosed. :) HTH.

MarkM3
12/29/2003, 05:59 PM
I use a 3 gallon bucket with lid from a paint store as a resevoir (make sure you drill a vent hole in the lid). About 3/4 of the way up I drilled a hole and mounted a Kent float valve. I have my dosing pump sucking water from the bottom of the bucket via rigid airline tubing. The setup runs great and always leaves atleast 2 gallons reserve.