PDA

View Full Version : Help - PFO HQI ballast not working

vmiller
12/27/2003, 08:24 PM
I have a dual 400\W PFO HQI ballast running Coralvue 20k bulbs. It has been working fine for a few months and today one of the bulbs never came on. A changed bulbs and still nothing. I tried switching the ballast off and then on, but the switch seems to be stuck, it wouldn't switch to the off position.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here? I'm going to send an email to PFO, but thought someone here might be able to give me a clue before I hear back from them.

Thanks,
Vin

vmiller
12/27/2003, 09:00 PM
Well, I did some investigating and it looks like the switch melted. I removed the switch and connected the two black wires connected by the switch. I'm no electrician, but common sense tells me this is the same as the switch always being on. The ballast works now, but I wonder if this is a safe fix for now until I get PFO to send me a new switch. Is it?

Thanks,
Vin

Schmev
12/28/2003, 12:15 AM
Yes, it's perfectly safe as long as you reasonably insulated the connection you made. You know, like a wad of electrical tape or heatshrink tubing or something. Just make sure it doesn't get too warm if you use the tape. Is that accurate? Maybe not, but I just don't trust the tape if it gets hot.

vmiller
12/28/2003, 09:42 AM
I used a wire nut.