PDA

View Full Version : Skilter 250 Modification Questions

mmaurigi
12/25/2003, 11:26 PM
I have a Skilter 250 that I modified by using an air pump and wooden airstone. Since this modification, I've seen an increase in the amount of foam that come out of the top but nothing spilling into the collection tray, maybe it's because I only have two fish. Modifing the Skilter this way makes it a co-current skimmer. Does anyone have any ideas on how to modify the skilter to make it counter current. Somehow bringing the water in higher in the tube. I'm intrested in any ideas.

Thanks

beaker99
12/26/2003, 05:43 PM
I have read in other posts where some people take a piece of pvc and put it around the limewood airstone that is inside the reaction chamber. They say this helps concentrate the bubbles. I'll be trying this myself when I set up my new tank since I have a skilter 400.
I like the skilter 400 because of the large filter box. I have also read in other posts about a cheaper alternative to bio-ball. Just take a clear plastic mess bag, I plan on using the mess bags that grapes are shipped in, and fill with drinking straws that have been cut up in spall pieces.

beaker99
12/26/2003, 05:46 PM
That is, drinking straws cut up into small pieces. About 1/2" or so. Sorry for the typo. I really need a new key board.

FunkieReefJunkie
12/27/2003, 04:18 AM
Ug skilters are mostly useless unless... Ya know what I did with mine? I took out the riser(skimmer tube), connected some flexable tubing with an elbow to where the water comes in, added about three inches of sand, cut out some egg crate and then placed chaetomorpha on top of it. Voila, instant mini refugium:D I knew there was some reason I kept that piece of junk!

Rhodophyta
12/27/2003, 01:14 PM
Run your drinking straws through a paper shredder at different angles. You will get shorter pieces quicker.

serjuanca88
12/27/2003, 01:39 PM
Drinking straws have a smooth surface,so it is harder for bacteria to attach. Try rubbing sandpaper on them before cutting them up.

bronco1500
12/27/2003, 01:46 PM
I had a skilter. P.o.s. I thought it was as good as the next skimmer. Until I used a bak pak for a week. That was when I realized the water was CLEAR not yellow. If you can afford it get a better skimmer. They can be expensive, but a good skimmer is worth its weight in gold. Good luck to you.

Rhodophyta
12/27/2003, 10:59 PM
We added a Prizm and a BakPak, so now there are four skimmers on the tank. The Prizm outdoes the more expensive BakPak so far, but we're keeping them both. It's time to retire the two old skimmers which have not done much since the Prizm showed up.

gearhead
03/27/2005, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by FunkieReefJunkie
Ug skilters are mostly useless unless... Ya know what I did with mine? I took out the riser(skimmer tube), connected some flexable tubing with an elbow to where the water comes in, added about three inches of sand, cut out some egg crate and then placed chaetomorpha on top of it. Voila, instant mini refugium:D I knew there was some reason I kept that piece of junk!

could you explain your mods a little more. what was the purpose for the extra tubing?

FunkieReefJunkie
03/28/2005, 03:13 AM
It's been some time since I set it up and later modified it due to the built in pump finally giving up as I expected it would. The extra tubing was to direct the water so it wouldn't stir up the sand. I'd pass up that design. Now I have a mini maxi jet in the tank hooked up with flexible tubing and elbows, which forms an upside down j. The sand has settled and aged; stirring of the sand is no longer a problem. The egg crate is cut to fit just so it slides in right above the sand. It's really a no brainer project which frankly I thought wouldn't do much good. But the little seven gallon it hangs on has no skimmer and practically takes care of itself despite my despicable neglect.