PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning breeding tank?

Dlckwood
12/24/2003, 02:35 AM
How do I clean my breeding tank so that I dont scare the clownfish I have right out of breeding. Thanks
DLCKWOOD:sad2:

Trek Rider
12/24/2003, 08:05 AM
My breeding pair happen to be in my "display" tank. I just don't clean their corner. Yep, that corner is a little messy but crabs, snails, etc. do a pretty good job. I certainly don't mess with any of the rocks near their nesting site. The rest of the tank gets cleaned as usual.

richardb42
12/24/2003, 09:36 AM
Basically, you don't, if its a dedicated tank. Just a quick swipe of a magnet on the front window and perhaps siphoning the bottom maybe once every 6 months...

If they are in a reef tank, then you gotta stay with your reef maintence schedule.

Then again, I poke my hands in my breeder's tanks to clean powerheads, sponge filters, and steal eggs, and that never stopped them.

JHardman
12/24/2003, 01:41 PM
It really depends on the fish.

Since you have caps, I would strongly suggest that you start feeding by hand as soon as you can train to it. Also get them used to being in the tank and not scared of hoses and the like.

If they just will not accept you in the tank, then you are just going to have to let go.

Dlckwood
12/24/2003, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the advise, yeah they are still pretty afriad of my hand and they just hang out laying on the botton of the QT. When I feed them though they swim all around the tank. I am going to buy a webcam so I can monitor them without my presence. Maybe they are totaly different when I'm away.
DLKWOOD:sad2:

LLUSA
12/26/2003, 05:46 PM
Definitely clean the breeding tank. With a regular weekly siphon, you will get them used to you. If they have laid a clutch, and you stopped them, then they were not on a regular cycle anyway.

They will get used to it.

As for needing to clean the tank, if you are able to feed them at least twice a day, preferably three times, you will need to clean weekly.

Ed