PDA

View Full Version : Aptasia removal service

BrianD
07/24/2000, 04:30 PM
Hi all,

I recently removed a bunch of live rock out of my 180 since it was covered with aptasia. I moved it to a 125 gallon tank that I set up to propogate xenia. The only thing that was in the tank (set up for months now) was a live sand bed (haven't had time for the xenia project yet).

I was driving through Terre Haute, IN yesterday and decided to stop by Inland Aquatics and pick up some peppermint shrimp to throw in the 125. While there, I saw a few raccoon butterflyfish. I hadn't planned on adding fish to the 125, but I decided to give the raccoon a try. I know they can be somewhat finicky, but IA had them for over 5 months and they were doing well there.

Anyway, I bought one, brought it home, and the second it hit the water it started munching on the aptasia. Happy days are here :) It also seemed to enjoy wiping out a good portion of the tubeworm population in the tank, but that is a minor detail. I love seeing the aptasia getting its just deserts.

The raccoon is just a little guy so it will take him awhile to clean up the aptasia, but I am sure when he does I will be able to transfer some other rocks from my 180. Then I can return the "cleaned" rocks from my 125
back to the 180.

We'll see how "Bandit" does.

Brian