PDA

View Full Version : gray areas on tang

reefwife
07/10/2001, 01:52 AM
About two and a half weeks ago we purchased an Atlantic Blue Tang by mail order. He looked healthy when we received him. I quarantined him in a 20 gallon tank for about a week. During that time he developed a couple of gray areas that looked raw, perhaps from rubbing against the rocks. After about a week I became afraid that he was being stressed in such a small tank and moved him into the main tank. He seemed healthy enough although the areas never cleared up. We eats frozen brine and caulerpa but doesn't have a clue what to do with flake food or nori. He continued to seem happy until today when the gray areas got larger and now cover about 20% of his body and head. He is hiding now and doesn't want to come out. The other fish in the tank are healthy and none of the other fish have been picking on him. There are no signs of ich. Any ideas :confused:

reefwife
07/10/2001, 09:17 PM
Gee guys, thanks for all the help! NEVER MIND.

LgIslandreefers
07/10/2001, 09:29 PM
It could be that no one replied because they might not know what your fish has. If somebody knew you would have received a reply. We have not seen or heard of what you are describing either. Sorry cannot be of any help.

billsreef
07/10/2001, 11:56 PM
Umm, some of us work for a living and don't get to hang out on the internet all day. BTW it's almost 1AM here and I still have to get up and go to work tommorow.

Now on to your fish. Sounds like a possible bacterial infection. You will need to remove the tang back to the Q tank. The best bet will be to treat with either Nitrofuran or SW Maracyn II.

FMarini
07/11/2001, 09:56 AM
Gee:
when has free assistance been met w/ such hostility...
AS bill mentioned the grey patches are most likely bacterial infections. The fish's rubbing may have removed some of the mucus (slime coat) on the fish, and exposed him to a bacterial infection. Besides treating w/ a good SW antibiotic, i would also boost nutirent levels in the fishes food. Selcon, and a vitamin supplement come to mind. Surprisingly garlic might be useful here as one of its effects is an increase in mucus production. So you'll want to attack this on two front, use the antibiotic to kill off the bacterial infection, and give top quality foods to get the fishes immune system back in order
frank