PDA

View Full Version : Copper & filter bed

Aquamans Reef
07/09/2001, 07:40 PM
Does dosing copper affect the bacteria in the filter bed? Thanks Joe

billsreef
07/09/2001, 10:37 PM
It does cause a temperary decrease in the bacterias activity till the bacteria adapt to it's presence.

Aquamans Reef
07/10/2001, 10:46 AM
Will it be a decrease as to where I will get an ammonia spike? Thanks Bill

billsreef
07/10/2001, 11:45 PM
Supposedly it will cause about a 20% decrease in filter activity. In practice I have yet to notice an ammonia spike due to adding copper to a well established FO system. If it is a new system you might want to watch closely and maybe cut back feeding quantities slightly.

FMarini
07/11/2001, 09:48 AM
Hi:
I've also experienced a small increase in chems levels after dosing w/ copper.I suspct it interferes w/ some of the bacterias functioning, but doesn't stop them or kill them off. Supoposedly only slows them down. after the treatment is over and you've removed the copper your biofilter should be back up to full strength.
Makes me think....I'll have to do a quick search for copper effects on bacteria(somthing like heavy metal poisioning, or co-factor binding?)
Anyway its should n't be a problem
frank

stagedperformance
07/11/2001, 05:45 PM
There is this stuff called NO-ICH made by Fish- Vet Inc that works great! It is reef safe (all corals and inverts) and also will not affect you bacteria colonies in the tank! It is great for ich as well as any of the other treatments copper is used for.

Hope this helps:)

Steve

Terry B
07/12/2001, 10:33 PM
No-Ich only works if you are very lucky or you have misdiagnosed the ailment. Hyposalinity is the best treatment.
Terry B