PDA

View Full Version : lyrics copyrighting, how to??

RicksReefs
12/21/2003, 09:00 PM
anybody have any idea on how to copyright
lyrics/poems. does publication in any dated form
give ownership to the writer? or do i have to
jump on the bus to nashville/motown, bail
phil specter out of jail, or....;)

TIA

Sir Knight
12/21/2003, 09:11 PM
Here is a link to the US copyright office they have the forms and fees that you will need
http://www.copyright.gov/

Hope this helps
Joe W.

MarkS
12/21/2003, 09:15 PM
Yeah, it's very hard, complicated and expensive...

You need to put this somewhere in the text:

© Copyright some date (or date range) your name

i.e.,

© Copyright 2003 ricksreef

or

© Copyright 2003 - 2010 ricksreef <- This is kind of pointless. The copyright will expire 70 years after your death regardless of what you put...

Yup, that's about it... Actually, it's copyrighted the moment the pen hits the paper. You can register it with the Copyright Office (part of the Patent Office), but I'm not sure how much that would cost and it is not really necessary.

RicksReefs
12/21/2003, 09:30 PM
kewl! i was kinda hoping it was like that & not
similar to patent law. thanks
now how do i get one of them copyright symbols :)

ATLANTIS
12/21/2003, 09:32 PM
You can save a lot of money by copywriting all your songs or poems as an Unpublished Collections

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#uc

RicksReefs
12/21/2003, 09:43 PM
from the gist of the first link, it seems i don't need
to spend a dime to copyright them. unless i'm
missing something? (not unusual)

Sir Knight
12/22/2003, 12:41 AM
Rick,
I have copyrights on a few songs. Just writing a date on a piece of paper doesn't cut it in count if somebody uses it. If that was the case every song written would have someone saying they wrote it first and wants money for their song. I think if you follow the link it will show you that you fill out the application, include the lyric’s and a demo of the song or groups of songs. Send it the copyright office and in a few months they will send you the application back date stamped and with their seal. If you go the other route want you need to do is put the songs in an envelope mail it to yourself and when you get it back in the mail put it away unopened then if there is a time you need to go to count you take the unopened letter and present it to the judge for his/her examination. I would and did go with the US copyright it is a lot easier as far as proof of a copyright infringement and there is NO question as far date written and owner.

Just saying it’s yours doesn't cut it in court.

This is the real world if you think you will either record the songs with your band, try to promote your songs to other groups or get them published. Another way is to talk to a copyright lawyer they can help you out but it will cost you more $$$ then just doing the US copyright thing

Joe W. :beer:

RicksReefs
12/22/2003, 06:36 AM
my company has a notary public on staff,will that work
for dating it? my dealings with big brother have been
less than satisfying, & i'd rather avoid the run around
if possible.
i don't have a band. i just want to make millions with
writing them & getting them published for use without
getting scammed ;) :D
i can barely hum a tune without driving the wife &
dog into hiding.

budhaboy
12/22/2003, 08:26 AM
a poor mans way of copyright, is to mail a copy of the lyrics and song(if its been recorded and date everything INSIDE the PACKAGE- Notary helps too) to yourself, and never open the package- the postmark will defend your proof of copyright(I have had friends Bands do this and won more than one court case with this evidence.