PDA

View Full Version : Glass or Acrylic

Fursphere
12/21/2003, 11:36 AM
Hello, just wanted to get a few opions from everyone out there.

My 200 gallon in wall custom tank is cracking, and needs to be replaced (I've already drained it and moved everything over to another tank). (The big tank came with the home I bought a year ago, and is said to be about 10 years old).

I've been doing a little shopping for a new tank, and it seems that I'm getting two very different opinions on what is better for my needs, a glass tank or an acrylic tank. Needless to say, its confusing the heck out of me. :confused:

The tank dimensions now are 84" long x 18" wide x 30" tall. I'll probably be getting a 24" wide tank to replace it with, since I'll be tearing the wall apart anyway. :D

So, what do you guys think? (and please post the reason why you think one is better than the other)

thanks in advance.

-Andy

MattG
12/21/2003, 12:01 PM
a large in wall tank like this i would go with acrylic or starphire glass. the clarity of the tnak is a huge deal to me. the bad thing about acrylic is the scratches. the bad thing about starphire is the price. id go starphire if price isnt a big concern otherwise acrylic is nice and the scratches can be buffed out.

RyanH
12/21/2003, 12:01 PM
I have a 90g glass tank, a 55g glass tank and a 26g acrylic. I much prefer the glass tanks. They are easier to keep clean and you don't have to worry about scratching them nearly as much. I didn't realize how important that was to me until i set up the acrylic tank. Even though it is small, it is a big pain to keep clean.

These tanks are much smaller than yours, so the benefits of acrylic at that size might make a difference to you. Acrylic is supposedly more clear, lighter and a better insulator.

If it was me, I'd go glass. With an in wall tank, you could get a starphire front panel, and that would take care of the clarity issue.

jazztown
12/21/2003, 12:09 PM
I have a 135 glass and it seems to scratch very easy,with glass the scratches can't be buffed out like acrylic.I am going to be getting a 180 acrylic because of the weight of the tank plus on larger tanks it would be to much of a pain if it deloveped a leak,it's clearer than glass plus the scratches can be buffed out.A fish store in my area has a Truvu acrylic 1000 gallon since the store was built back in the early 80's it has scratches but can't really see them unless you're looking for them.
Bill

Fursphere
12/21/2003, 12:09 PM
You know, I never thought of that.. just getting one or two panels starphire, and the rest normal glass. (duh).

I got a coupld of price quotes on glass tanks, and the Starphire version was about $1000 MORE. Needless to say, thats too much for my tastes, but just the front panel may be perfect. :)

I was talking to a gentalman at my LFS last night, and he mentioned that he'd never go glass again because he has the silicone that held the glass together fail on him with a 100g tank. Kinda scary if you ask me.

rleechb
12/21/2003, 01:22 PM
Yeah, basically,

Acrylic will be far lighter than glass, it's chemically bonded at the corners so there's far less chance of leakage, it's stronger. It has less light refraction than standard glass tanks so it is clearer. unless you go starphire of course. It's less prone to heat fluctuations because it's a better insulator and it can be drilled easily for plumbing, overflows etc.

Like others said, acrylic scratches very easy. However, if it's an outside scratch, it can be buffed out. Inside scratches are a different story. It happens most often by either live rock hitting the panel or a grain of sand getting in between a mag float cleaner and then scratching everything up.

I have an 80g acrylic and like it although I do get stressed out a lot about scratching it. If I was to get a smaller tank, I'd definitely get glass, but for larger tanks, I'd probably stick with acrylic. However, since your tank is an in wall and you won't be moving it around and such, I think if you can get a front panel starphire, that would be awesome.

Fursphere
12/21/2003, 01:32 PM
Glass tanks leaking.... is this a big issue? Does it happen a lot I mean.

rleechb
12/21/2003, 01:52 PM
no. it doesn't.

Reeftropicals
12/21/2003, 01:57 PM
Acrylic: Good clarity, doesn't have that greenish tint to it like glass does have. Light weight and strong. However, it scratches easily (compare a 5 year old acrylic to a glass tank) and is usually more expensive than normal glass.

Glass: Greenish tint, very durable but heavy, off course you only move it once usually cheaper than acrylic.

Starphire: exceptional clarity, strong and durable. Heavy a little more expenisve than normal glass and acrylic.

Personally I would have a custom tank mad as suggested and have the fron viewing panel made out of starphire glass. I think you'll be happy.

Fursphere
12/21/2003, 02:02 PM
With my "in wall" setup, three sides are viewable. One side in the living room, the end of the tank, and the other large side in the "offce / computer room". So I'd need three sides starphire I guess.

And the prices I've been quoted so far are as follows...

Lee Mar 84x24x30

Regular glass $1,725.0
Starphire Glass three sided $2,587.00

There is a significant differnce in the price as you can see. :)

Fursphere
12/21/2003, 02:04 PM
Oh, and from a different place...

In acrylic, that tank would cost $1330.00 (84 x 24 x 30) made out of 1/2".

----------------------

And acrylic tank I have now (thats cracking) is 1/2" thick, and has LOTS of scratches, which drive me insane. The previous owners just didn't care about the tank I guess. :(

merseyman
12/21/2003, 05:16 PM
...have you contacted inter-american (canada) about a starphire? seems to be the place most people on rc have gotten theirs.

Fursphere
12/21/2003, 08:08 PM
No, I haven't. Got a link?

Mitchell
12/21/2003, 08:58 PM
Do glass tanks leak? Not often. My 58G oceanic tank leaked from the lower edge of a seal and it was a disaster.

When I recovered, I went out and had a custom acrylic tank made. I will never risk my seals leaking again.

mitch

SCRUZ
12/21/2003, 09:19 PM
acyrlic tanks are good for me because im renting and probably have a couple more moves ahead of me beofre i settle down and am able to buy a house. acrylic is much lighter and easier to move, looks very nice, and i dont have to water about it breaking or having a bad seal.

but i do like the resistance of glass to scratching, for sure!

Fursphere
12/21/2003, 09:21 PM
So as long as I'm super careful about scratches, acrylic is almost a better path to take?

SCRUZ
12/21/2003, 09:28 PM
well if you dont scratch the acryllic, there's no reason (in my mind) not to get acryllic. but you will scratch it. but i think if you are careful about it and just understand that over time you will probably get a few scratches you'll be fine. i think one reason glass tanks are so popular in reefing is that reefers face different kinds of algaes that really adhere to the surfaces of the tank. with glass tanks you can juts use a razor, with acryllic you have to use something that is not quite as effective and you run the risk of getting some small scratches on occassion.

but i think many people who own acryllic tanks have been successful in keeping the scratching fairly minimal and understand that scratching over time is just an inevitable part of the wear and use of the tank.

but i think in larger tanks the strength (and lightweight) of acryllic is something to consider. i have a 120 acryllic tank, and even though glass doesnt fail often, i really dont even worry around my plexi tank at all. peace of mind is nice. even when people are rough housing or whatever around it. its just not going to break unless you do something stupid like heat the brace directly with a 400w MH.

jazztown
12/21/2003, 10:54 PM
When i had a 75 gallon acrylic i bought a sheet of acrylic from the hardware store and practiced buffing out scratches on it i got pretty good at it.I got a long scratch on the tank when i was putting live rock in but i was able to buff it out with the tank still full of water and it was like new would never know it was ever scratched.
Bill

aurora
12/21/2003, 10:58 PM
Glass gets my vote...

Fursphere
12/21/2003, 11:00 PM
I'm not understanding why I'm getting quote roughly $500 more for a glass tank, when acrylic is supposed to be "the thing"......

L8DYV
12/21/2003, 11:01 PM
I prefer glass. nuff said

merseyman
12/22/2003, 03:14 PM
...something is wrong if you're getting quoted more for a regular glass tank versus acrylic. also, keep in mind, while you may be getting the impression from this small sampling that acrylic "is the thing," the VAST majority of reefers use glass. do not underestimate the scratching issue. go to any petshop that uses acrylic tanks for their marine fish and you will see what i mean. of course, you'd be unlikely to beat your own tank up to that extent...
...you should find a leak for inter-american by doing a search of threads on RC....

Scuba_Dave
12/22/2003, 03:22 PM
do you have to worry about earthquakes where you are? anyone have experience w/a large glass tank in an earthquake area?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=287580

SCRUZ
12/22/2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Scuba_Dave
do you have to worry about earthquakes where you are?

Im in CA, another reason i was interested in acryllic. but i was really borderline, i really like nice glass tanks too. with acryllic the peace of mind is with breakage, even if it is unlikely with glass. but with glass the peace of mind is with scratching, and thats an issue almost daily -- anytime you get into the tank. Even though i have acryllic, i certainly am still pretty borderline, i might try glass next time, especially if the tank is smaller. my fuge and sump are both glass.

its really more about what your situation is, whether you own your home, move often, how big a tank, if you are paranoid about earthquakes, how much $$ you have to spend, etc.

merseyman
12/22/2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by merseyman

...you should find a leak for inter-american by doing a search of threads on RC....

---i meant LINK! oops. freudian slip?

merseyman
12/22/2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by SCRUZ
Im in CA, another reason i was interested in acryllic. but i was really borderline, i really like nice glass tanks too. with acryllic the peace of mind is with breakage, even if it is unlikely with glass. but with glass the peace of mind is with scratching, and thats an issue almost daily -- anytime you get into the tank. Even though i have acryllic, i certainly am still pretty borderline, i might try glass next time, especially if the tank is smaller. my fuge and sump are both glass.

its really more about what your situation is, whether you own your home, move often, how big a tank, if you are paranoid about earthquakes, how much $$ you have to spend, etc.

...in a major quake, the tank is toast, either glass or acrylic, and the LEAST OF YOUR WORRIES! in a minor shaker, i've heard of few problems w/ glass, although acrylic would, obviously, be more resistant in those situations.

petedoc
12/22/2003, 04:43 PM
I had experience of having a 135glass tank break in the middle of the night a few years ago, fortunately the sound of the new waterfall awoke my 7 year old son who alerted me. We were able to limit the damage somewhat. I have had my acrylic 135 for 13yrs now and I do sleep better at night.

SCRUZ
12/22/2003, 04:47 PM
...in a major quake, the tank is toast, either glass or acrylic, and the LEAST OF YOUR WORRIES!

i agree. its not the major earthquakes that worry me either. but even then, fear of earthquakes isn't the main reason to decide on which material to get. there are many other more important and practical considerations. although the extra strength of acryllic is certainly a consideration.

Fursphere
12/22/2003, 05:40 PM
With the 200gallon tank I'm replacing, when it was full, it bowed pretty good. (its 84" long x 18" wide x 30" high, 1/2" thick).

I know the cost would increase be going 3/4", but would that keep it from bowing so bad after time?

Fursphere
12/22/2003, 05:42 PM
Oh, and I'm in Sacramento, CA, and I didn't feel a thing when the quake hit today. :)

SPC
12/22/2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Fursphere
With my "in wall" setup, three sides are viewable. One side in the living room, the end of the tank, and the other large side in the "offce / computer room". So I'd need three sides starphire I guess.

And the prices I've been quoted so far are as follows...

Lee Mar 84x24x30

Regular glass $1,725.0
Starphire Glass three sided $2,587.00

There is a significant differnce in the price as you can see. :)

Fursphere, those prices are a little cheaper than what I have been quoted by another company, do these quotes include holes and overflows?

The acrylic cost looks real close to what I have seen. You know, if I buy an acrylic tank and it scratches after 5 years (my 3 year old glass 180 has scratches on the front) then I could almost replace it with a brand new one for what the original Starphire tank cost, hmmmm.
Steve

Fursphere
12/22/2003, 06:38 PM
Ya, thats a good point Steve. I didn't ask about pre-dilled holes for overflows and such. Probably extra. :(

I do own the home, and as of right now, I don't see myself moving in the forseeable future, so glass may be the way to go, but after reading about others glass tanks bursting, leaking, and such, I'm kinda scared of glass now!

-Andy

Beach Native
12/22/2003, 07:58 PM
I've only ever owned glass, including my current 110, and wouldn't have it any other way (personal preference). I have put "a scratch" in my glass and I shiver to think what I would have done to acrylic trying to keep a reef in it...

Just my 2ยข worth...

merseyman
12/23/2003, 03:38 PM
...the incidence of leakage/breakage in glass tanks is miniscule, but not quite as miniscule as that of acrylic (which is possible).

...oh, and the whole "i can replace the acrylic tank after 5 years" sounds great now, but i bet it doesn't seem so simple when it comes time to breakdown/set-up the whole thing five years hence...

Fursphere
12/23/2003, 03:50 PM
So your saying, statistically, glass tanks holdup better than acrylic ones?

merseyman
12/23/2003, 04:21 PM
...no, the opposite. i'm saying that the percentages for either having leakage/breakage problems is so small that you have to decide, personally, if it's even an issue that should be given much weight...

sagitariuscbc
12/23/2003, 04:25 PM
simple go acrylic

SPC
12/23/2003, 06:30 PM
...the incidence of leakage/breakage in glass tanks is miniscule, but not quite as miniscule as that of acrylic (which is possible).

...oh, and the whole "i can replace the acrylic tank after 5 years" sounds great now, but i bet it doesn't seem so simple when it comes time to breakdown/set-up the whole thing five years hence...

No I agree with you mersey, it wouldn't be simple, and I sure wouldn't go into the whole thing with this as a goal. My point was that at half the cost, and all the other advantages of acrylic, maybe this is a legitimate point to consider.

A couple of other thoughts:

1. We were discussing the need for major tank disruptions a while back on the Coral forum. Many believe that this is necessary to try and avoid OTS as major disruptions are one of the important aspects of a natural reef. If this line of thinking is valid, then maybe a tank tear down every 5, 7 or 10 years is not a bad idea.

2. IMO most people will not make it past the 5 year mark in this hobby, and we all know how low re-sale dollars on aquariums are.

3. Alot of changes have come about in this hobby over the last 5 years as far as water flow goes. When I originally set my 180 glass tank up, closed loops were just starting to be discussed and therefore I did not have any holes drilled for them. Today I wish that I did.

Will there be additional improvements to water flow in the next 5 years that a hobbyist would like to incorporate in their tank but can't due to being locked in to a dated system? My guess would be yes.

Just a few thoughts that I have been rolling around in my tiny brain for a while:D .
Steve

Fursphere
12/23/2003, 07:17 PM
Well, I'm still not sold on either design, but this thread have been a wonderful source of information so far!

A big thank you to everyone!

I'm starting to think Acrylic is the way to go for me, mostly due to cost (I can spend $2000 on a glass tank, but I'd rather spend $1500 and then put some money towards equipment that needs to be upgraded as well).

merseyman
12/27/2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Fursphere
Well, I'm still not sold on either design, but this thread have been a wonderful source of information so far!

A big thank you to everyone!

I'm starting to think Acrylic is the way to go for me, mostly due to cost (I can spend $2000 on a glass tank, but I'd rather spend $1500 and then put some money towards equipment that needs to be upgraded as well).

...why do i get the feeling that you have the (wholly incorrect) notion that acrylic is the more economical way to go? versus starphire glass, yes, but the majority of glass aquariums are not starphire, and frankly, i think the whole clarity issue is overblown in that debate. funny how no one talks about how "greenish" things look through their home windows and car windshields.

i'm a little pro glass, but could go either way. i'd just like to see you make your decision based on the facts, not perceptions.

Fursphere
12/27/2003, 03:40 PM
I'm basing my opinion about cost on the quotes I have gotten.

Acrylic - ~$1400

Glass - ~$1800

Starphire Glass - $2500

merseyman
12/27/2003, 06:05 PM
...i could be mistaken, but that glass price sounds way out of line.

Fursphere
12/27/2003, 06:21 PM
Thats for a Lee Mar tank. 84Lx24Wx30H