PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Day Sale!

Tropical-Paradise-Ed
12/20/2003, 06:31 AM
Tropical Paradise will be open on December 25th from 10am to 3pm! We will be having sales up to 50% off on ALL saltwater livestock! We were so surprised to see so many dedicated reefers coming in on Thanksgiving Day, that we are going to open up for several hours on Christmas Day as well. :)

Please don't forget that we still have our Charity drive and bring in unexpired canned foods and new unwrapped toys for a discount. Details can be found here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=277321

So come on by to stock your tanks instead of your stockings on Christmas Day!

JoeMack
12/20/2003, 11:29 AM
what a guy!

Coral_Geek
12/20/2003, 01:19 PM
Is TP becoming 6th Avenue?

BoomerD
12/20/2003, 01:44 PM
Wow! I hope not! Eddie is trying to get us married folks in trouble! Fish shopping on Christmas? :blown: :lol: :lol:

Dingus
12/20/2003, 02:20 PM
I was going to come into some time this weekedn but I guess i can come in on christmas day lol

Ryan
12/20/2003, 06:37 PM
Eddie- That's awesome- Kudos, and I'll be there.

bullfrog198
12/23/2003, 02:45 PM
SWEET!

silverain420
12/23/2003, 03:54 PM
Bummer, I am going to Sac on X-mas so would have no where to keep a live coral for a couple of days... Maybe next time...

jan_dman
12/23/2003, 07:08 PM
Awesome!

I just dropped by Great Bay Aquarium and they also have a BIG SALE on X'mas Day from 11am-3pm!!! I hope I get lots of cash for X'mas....hehe :)

See you all on X'mas at either TP or Great Bay, or both :)

Merry X'mas Everyone!

PANZER_TANK
12/23/2003, 10:45 PM
Finally a Store that's Open on Christmas.....

Anyone have a Time TP will close?

rene....

Cary Oki
12/24/2003, 11:44 AM
jan_,

do you happen to know if Great bay will be marking down the Rose anenomes on christmas? I've been waiting for one, and if 50% off I'd love to buy one for myself on Christmas.

bookfish
12/24/2003, 03:32 PM
I was just down at GB and Billy had different discount percentages for fish and inverts for tomorrow but nothing was over 25% off.
Sorry, but maybe you'll join us BARE folks (your fave club!) at TP (your fave store!)
Happy Holidays and good shopping-Jim

jan_dman
12/24/2003, 04:54 PM
I just got back from Great Bay myself to see what they had in stock today for tomorrow's sale.

I also asked the details of the sale and Billy said:

All Marine Fish/Inverts (non-corals) is "Buy one, get one of equal or lesser value FREE" except specialty fish such as Anglers, expensive Angels, and things in their display tanks but almost everything in the store....clowns, blennies, gobies, wrasses, anthias, triggers, lionfish, snails, crabs, etc.

All Corals are at least 25% off and all mushroom colonies are "Buy one, get one of equal or lesser value FREE" except Ricordias and things in their display tank.

Also, remember that Great Bay prices are already low as it is, the last time I bought a mushroom colony, it was only $25 and had over 28 polyps on it.

They have a bunch of Sebae and Clarki Clowns there today for $6.99/each so that looks like a good buy for tomorrow also.

Anyone have more specific details on TP's sale? I know it's "up to 50% off" but that could be very misleading. I wanted to stop by and ask during my lunch time but spent it all scoping out Great Bay...hehe :) I'll try and stop by before they close tonight and post it here later.

Merry X'mas and don't forget to set your alarms for tomorrow! (actually, I hope I'll be the first one at the sales...hehe)

bullfrog198
12/24/2003, 05:09 PM
I'm going to both places.

Cary Oki
12/24/2003, 05:20 PM
thanks bookfish! I never asked about the details, I was just crossing my fingers that i could score a nice RBTA cheap. I'll try and hit as many sales as possible. I'll drag my grandson with me, say we're going out for pie or something.

ac green
12/24/2003, 08:44 PM
Just got back from Great Bay, Billy told me the roses will be 20% off.

got chow
12/25/2003, 09:42 AM
Eddie said that there will be sales on all saltwater livestock. I would guess that up to 50% off would be things like brown acros and the like. I doubt there will be anything less than 10% off. I couldn't imagine "3% off!" or something funky like that, so I wouldn't worry much about misleading. The sales should be good but my wallet is already not so good. ;)

bookfish
12/25/2003, 11:33 AM
And anyone else.
I'll be down there at 10 and since I don't have too much space left for whole colonies I'd be interested in splitting some stuff up.
Maybe 3 or 4 of us could buy 4 colonies and each get 1/4 of each?
-Jim

Photon
12/25/2003, 01:06 PM
Where is Great Bay?
Anyone from Sacramento going down to the sales?
James

sagitariuscbc
12/25/2003, 01:53 PM
Hey James,
Merry Christmas!!! Let us know if you go want to pick some little things up let us know. Thanks always!!! Shawn

JsL30629
12/25/2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Coral_Geek

Hey everyone,

I am new and am wondering what's wrong with 6th ave aquarium?

JoeMack
12/25/2003, 05:57 PM
they treat livestock as they treat dry goods. I know and have read about people getting sick fish from there. Getting Ick in your reef tank is NOT fun.

Coral_Geek
12/25/2003, 08:47 PM
Hey JsL30629
I was refering to being open on Christmas which 6th Ave always has been (they NEVER close). They have the best dry goods prices anywhere, but you have to bee VERY selective about the livestock. You can find great deals if you pay close attention and are certain about the health of the animal.

If you can't say something nice....

Thales
12/26/2003, 12:00 AM

If you can't say something nice....

You should still speak up when you see a store doing really icky things - like 6th ave.

I don't think 6th ave should be supported in any way. I don't think you can justify the way they treat and import animals by saving a few bucks on drygoods. We have several good LFS in the Bay Area, and they need to be supported, while the ones at the bottom of the curve should be starved out of existance.

TheMandarinFish
12/26/2003, 12:06 AM
Agreed. Give Eddie your money.

He handpicks. He's ethical. He doesn't have runs on cleaner wrasses, leopard wrasses, powder blue tangs, coris wrasses, moorish idols, etc. for a reason.

Eddie is ethical, 6th Ave is wretched from everything I've heard.

Eddie runs a hospital tank, 6th Ave and Connie's have fast-track-to-the-toiletbowl tanks.

Eddie doesn't do bag lots for a reason.

If you need better prices on dry goods, order from Marine Depot. The trip into SF (or Castro Valley) to support fish butchers isn't worth it, IMO.

I wish I was in the Bay Area over Xmas for the T.P. sale!

Dingus
12/26/2003, 02:46 AM
I have gotten a few corals from Connies for really cheap but I know what you mean, tanks are covered in apisatias, corals aren't there for more than a week, lighting is un adequate for the most part. Brown jelly and cyano run rampant and the list goes on, we as a reef consience group should aviod such places. Unfortunately the dollar, or lack of , causes us to lower our standards and buy from places with atrocious conditions. I am not saying I am perfect as I have bought from Connies many times and even have a nice open brain from there right now, but that doesn't change the fact that buying that brain coral probably meant that another died in those wrechted tanks.

Maybe I am rambling,
Danny

Thales
12/26/2003, 12:11 PM
Rambling is good!

Its not that another died, its that potentially hundreds died.

Save the dollars until you can buy from a better place. How much are you really saving anyway? And the more you buy from 'abusive' places, the more likely the hobby will not be around later at all. If we keep lowering our standards, the low standards may be all we have to choose from.

Dingus
12/26/2003, 02:39 PM
I gave them a few bunches of mayaca (FW plant) for my Red brain if that is what you were asking. Is the question rhetorical?

Thales
12/27/2003, 12:29 AM
Yep! And the 'you' was the general 'you', not you!

Coral_Geek
12/30/2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Dingus
I have gotten a few corals from Connies for really cheap but I know what you mean........

I guess you would be shocked to learn that one of Connie's most regular and best customers is...........Eddie! TP would not have had salt or corals for most of its early existence without Connie's to supply them. Be careful when you point the finger at someone.

Thales
12/30/2003, 01:24 PM
I guess you would be shocked to learn that one of Connie's most regular and best customers is...........Eddie! TP would not have had salt or corals for most of its early existence without Connie's to supply them. Be careful when you point the finger at someone.

Are you really saying 'because someone else we respect shops/shopped there we should feel good about shopping there as well'?

blk_g20
12/30/2003, 04:06 PM
any sales for new years day?

jan_dman
12/30/2003, 07:55 PM
I think what Coral_Geek is trying to say is that even though people complain about Connie's and such, that even some of TP's corals came from there except that when kept under better lighting and in a better atmosphere, with a better salesperson, the price goes up.

Source is still the same.

I remember reading from a few threads before that Eddie also shops at other stores and have seen him at bag sales of Connie's. I don't think Eddie is doing anything wrong, he has the right to shop there just like anybody else and since he has such a good eye for nice pieces, more power to him to be able to bring it back to his place and mark it up.

So it seems like if you can get to some of the same stores early and have the eye to spot the goods, you can probably save yourself a few bucks before it goes through another middleman.

Thales
12/30/2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by blk_g20
any sales for new years day?

Tropical Paradise has the same sale they were running on christmas on new years.

Thales
12/30/2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by jan_dman
I think what Coral_Geek is trying to say is that even though people complain about Connie's and such, that even some of TP's corals came from there except that when kept under better lighting and in a better atmosphere, with a better salesperson, the price goes up.

Source is still the same.

Sure, sometimes. But that doesn't mean that anyone who cares about the planet and about the hobby should shop at 6th or Connies. They still practice poor husbandry, and I, at least, don't think that saving 10 bucks is a good trade for all the dead animals.

I remember reading from a few threads before that Eddie also shops at other stores and have seen him at bag sales of Connie's. I don't think Eddie is doing anything wrong, he has the right to shop there just like anybody else and since he has such a good eye for nice pieces, more power to him to be able to bring it back to his place and mark it up.

I also don't think he is doing anything 'wrong', or anyone else is doing anything 'wrong' shopping at those places. I do think that there are larger implications to shopping there than just saving some money.

We have the same discussion when superstores like Petco come up.

So it seems like if you can get to some of the same stores early and have the eye to spot the goods, you can probably save yourself a few bucks before it goes through another middleman.

Sure. I still don't think supporting 'bad' stores is a good idea.