PDA

View Full Version : Weight lifting / 8th grade?

Niven
12/18/2003, 03:20 PM
I recently started being an assistant coach for the local freshman football team. For the last month or so, we've been having anyone that can make it come in and lift three times a week. These are going to be the freshman for next years team, so they are in 8th grade now. The whole freshman program up until now was VERY lax. We're trying to make it better. Is it bad for the kids to be lifting at this age? Is it better to just do lots of reps? Avoid heavy weight? Any suggestions for the kids?
Thank you,
Gareth

tdog44632
12/18/2003, 05:20 PM
I would definitely check with a sports medecine group in your area before doing any weight training. I do not think they recommend using any weights for kids that young. Growth plates in the bones are not finished yet. Kids under 16 should only use their body weight.ie chinups, pushups, and situps. Any aerobic activity should be fine. Maybe Joey Chitwood will chime in with actual physician recoomendations.

FWIW
Tony

chewie
12/18/2003, 05:40 PM
I lifted twice a week in the 8th grade, mostly "universal" style weights. I started lifting "freeweights" as a freshman.

It sure helped me get into shape and I haven't had any problems with my knees or back. I'm only 26 though, we'll see.

I think it's OK for most kids to lift in the eighth grade. Especially if you're playing football.

tyoberg
12/18/2003, 05:54 PM
I know two kids who broke their arms while pitching because they'd been weight training (7th graders).

BrianD
12/18/2003, 05:54 PM
I asked a similar question a while back. Here is that thread:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=238261&highlight=weight

lebowski
12/18/2003, 06:13 PM
They shouldn't be lifting weights at this point of their life..

Or atleast not TOO much... Just light stuff they can handle, and not overdue themselves... Lifting weights can stunt your growth at an extreme level.. If you push yourself to really buff out you'r just asking to be short...

Have you ever met a bodybuilder? I went to see Lee Preist who is 5' 4" IMAGINE THAT! This guy is insanely huge, about 30 years old.. He started weight lifting at the age of 10, and completely stunted his growth...

BrianD
12/18/2003, 09:24 PM
Lebowski, the fact that you met one short weight lifter does not translate that lifting weights "stunts growth". There is concern among some that growth plates may be affected, but others discount the theory.

I will agree that more repetitions and less weight is better, but I think it depends on puberty, etc.

Brian

lebowski
12/18/2003, 10:37 PM
Brian, He was just an example..

It does depend on sexual maturity... the 8th grade is a point in where on average a teen will be hitting his growth spurt.. That's why it's best to wait a little before doing strenious weight lifting...

It's not like you can't.. I've been working out since 7th grade.. But i didn't begin doing really hard work outs till just this year.. I'm 6 feet tall, 15 years old... I've pretty much hit my peak...

Ironreef
12/19/2003, 12:04 AM
Lifting weigths isn't gonna stunt your growth or make you massive huge. It's all your body type. Some ppl look at weights and grow an inch some never any. Powerlifting is a different story you may hurt yourself but reps of 15 + will not do any harm. Myth from ppl who are to lazy to work out. Weights will enhance your sport....

Phan
12/19/2003, 12:45 AM
lifting weights wont enhance every sport you play...it will hurt some. esp. if you dont stretch and run/ do cardio. but some kids developto the earlier or later than others. i say, whatever they feel comfortable with....let them do....and encourage it. IMO younger kids should stick to machines rather than free weights...and lower weight more reps...but...whatever. how is properly working out....any different than working on a farm....or working on a boat....or any other thing alot of us did as kids? im only 26 too though...but my joints/bones are.

crab0000
12/19/2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Phan
lifting weights wont enhance every sport you play...it will hurt some. esp. if you dont stretch and run/ do cardio.
I think it can with cardio and stretching. Here is a link to a professional bodybuilder who ran against Dwain Chambers (second fastest man on earth) and didn't lose by much. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bigrace.htm
Back to the point. I would say lighter weights with more reps. At this point they need to learn proper technique and get the muscle memory, so when they get older and start lifting heavier they won't have to concentrate on form as much it will be automatic. As far as growth plates and stunting growth, I don't think there is any conclusive evidence to support or dismisss it yet. As far as Lee Priest goes yes he is freaky huge, but I think most of the people in his family are short as well. I mean look at Arnold he started lifting when he was around 12 I think and he is like 6'4" or something. JMO
Steve

musicsmaker
12/19/2003, 10:12 AM
I'm 6'2" and proof that weight lifting at a young age does NOT stunt your growth. :D

BrianD
12/19/2003, 10:21 AM
He started weight lifting at the age of 10, and completely stunted his growth

Lebowski, statements like these are what I am talking about. You didn't give an "example". You stated as fact that the guy was short because of weight training, and that is silly. How would you know that? I could just as easily find a tall man who lifted weights as a youth. Does that prove the opposite? (see Musicmaker). I believe genetics plays a little part in this ;)

Brian

Meisen
12/19/2003, 10:55 AM
FWIW, the early weights/stunted growth "myth" has been around in many sports for a long time. I have personally never seen any kind of studies that prove or refute the idea that early weightlifting will stunt growth. I suspect the place to look is to the former Soviet Union and its program of early ID/training for its athletes. They certainly started intensive weight and plyometric programs early on with huge sucess in most of the power sports. Again, I dont have the data here but it might be a place to look for some. Nevertheless, it is important to note that the combination of: a) unfused growth plates, b) the coordination issues that early teen boys often have and c) undeveloped ligaments, tendons and muscles can lead to severe injury. As long as safety is the foremost concern and your guys follow a technique-focused, professionally supervised and well thought out program, I think its a great way to built sport-specific strength and increase athlete body-awareness. IMHO, if you can realize in your team 5-15% gains in strength and significantly increase flexibility you have suceeded. If you can develop solid lifting habits and practices, you will do a lot more for these young athletes than if you try to "bulk them up" or get them lifting big weights early on while circumventing potential dangers of injury or worse. The other issue is burnout. Having these kids doing too much too soon can really curb what seems like limitless enthusiasm for sport that they probably have. There is always time to increase the workload as these athletes mature and build their capacity for hard work. Think about your athlete's progression through the 5 years ie what makes the first string Varsity better/harder/faster/stronger than the modified/JV teams?
Keep in mind this is mainly opinion and anecdotes from my own experiences and discussions with other coaches. You are the coach of your team and you will need to learn, take ownership of and make these choices yourself ultimately.

Good luck!

Mark
Coach, athlete and student of sport for 12 years.

Niven
12/20/2003, 01:33 PM
Thank you for the info. Right now we have them doing a full workout throughout the week. Legs/biceps.....chest/triceps....back/shoulders. (all different days:)) They are doing 3 sets of 10 reps for everything. After, they do the "ladder" and stairs, followed by streching. They seemed to be having fun still. This team is going to be in great shape by the time the season roles around, let's just hope their smart enough to figure out their assignments:D
Gareth

BrianD
12/20/2003, 01:36 PM
Gareth, consider doing some cardio-vascular work before lifting. I coach a youth wrestling team, and we always do 3-5 minutes of jogging or jumping rope before we get into our full warm-up routine. It actually helps them get through the drills once the ole' heart is a pumpin :)

joeychitwood
12/20/2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by lebowski
I'm 6 feet tall, 15 years old... I've pretty much hit my peak... Sad, but true....it's all down hill from here, lebowski!

madman01
12/20/2003, 06:48 PM
bb does not stunt growth unless your 160lbs and trying to squat 500lbs i myself have been workin out with my oldman since before grade 8 just be carefull and dont try to max out on your liftsand eat **** loads of chicken

brett3735
12/20/2003, 06:51 PM
you got a huge a$$ neck muscle. im in 9th grade an starting lifting weights in 7th. i can only bench 150 right now. just make sure you use free weights. with machines your dominant arm/leg gets the most workout because both bars go at the same time.

brett3735
12/20/2003, 06:51 PM
madman, how much can you bench?

lebowski
12/20/2003, 06:58 PM
Sad, but true....it's all down hill from here, lebowski!

Hahaha.. Yep..

BrianD,

I will cease to argue. .. You are correct as always.

madman01
12/20/2003, 07:06 PM

Perez14
12/20/2003, 08:53 PM
It won't stunt everyone's growth, but if you get someone who is having a growth spurt and they do a lot of heavy lifting it will most likely effect their growth. At that age have them do more reps at a lesser weight. You may also want to try just two days of lifting and one day of cardio. Keep them in shape year round and build a little bit of muscle.

BrianD
12/20/2003, 09:06 PM
I will cease to argue. .. You are correct as always.

LOL

Must...resist....urge.....

madman01
12/20/2003, 09:18 PM
ya hes right to each his or her own

sammystingray
12/21/2003, 07:15 AM
As many of you know, I love to throw my opinion in where I have no real knowledge, this is a case of just that.

Perhaps we can actually debate this somewhat. It is proven fact that as the day goes on, you actually shrink all day as your joints compress, and when you get a good nights sleep, you will wake up maybe even almost two inches taller....before you even argue....measure yourself in the morning, and then again right before bed.

Any actual medical folks know the toll that heavy weight lifting might do on joints?? Any effects on the spines curve if done frequently? Please state if it is backed by research or a personal opinion. I can see too much lifting theorectically wearing out and compressing joints enough to lose several inches. Spinal curvature can take several inches away as well. As stated, I know nothing, but I am treating the topic as a serious discussion because there may be atleast something there??

The only height loss that would make sense to me is the same height loss that effects old folks. Other than that, height does seem genetic to a point....some cases make no sense, but whatever.:D

Ironreef
12/21/2003, 01:34 PM
This is why high reps 12 + do less damage. Heavy lifting can put wear on your joints. If your lifting weights or working hard. But all around workout need cardio. If you do 5min warmup before weight you lessen chances of injury. But it all depends on your genetics.

enforcer8621
12/21/2003, 06:57 PM
when I began lifting weights as a freshman, my 11 year old brother wanted to do the same. I did research and found that it was not best to lift until puberty has kicked in pretty well. I told him that he could do push ups, sit ups and chin ups. He did (ok maybe a little extreme, 1000 pushups a day, not kidding) He never seamed to have any problems and was able to bench 300 lbs as a 145 lb senior.

yanksajo
12/21/2003, 07:23 PM
If you want the football team to get in shape, make them all join the wrestling team over the winter. Hardest sport in the world.

enforcer8621
12/21/2003, 09:56 PM
Amen Yanksajo! What do you think my brother and I were lifting weights for? I used to laugh at the football players that would about die during the first few weeks of wrestling practice.

yanksajo
12/21/2003, 09:59 PM
Wrestling's a great sport but I'm not looking forward to going to practice all throughout my Christmas break, and a tournament the Saturday after Christmas. Oh well, it'll keep me in shape. Back to the original topic, I think as long as they don't lift excessively lifting is fine for 8th graders.