PDA

View Full Version : Hinckley hits the streets

Steve_B
12/18/2003, 01:08 PM
WASHINGTON - Former President Reagan's son Michael, denouncing as "an outrage" a judge's decision to allow John Hinckley Jr. unsupervised visits with his parents, questioned Thursday whether the Hinckleys would be able to prevent their son from harming himself or others.

"Can we trust two 80-year-old parents, if he gets off of his drugs, to do the right thing and get him back into a hospital where he belongs or stop him from hurting himself or hurting others?" Michael Reagan asked on ABC's "Good Morning America"

beerguy
12/18/2003, 01:11 PM
Just wait until he finds out that Jodie Foster isn't likely to be interested in him.

:)

beerguy
12/18/2003, 01:18 PM
What isn't mentioned in your clip is that while, hospital staff will no longer be with him, the Secret Service still follows him everywhere he goes. They still get advance notification of any visit under this ruling.

pnosko
12/18/2003, 09:40 PM
Let the thread timer begin!

tick, tock, tick, tock...

Agu
12/18/2003, 10:16 PM
This is about mental health, not politics or religion.

IMo everybody needs a second chance, even trolls. Maybe he'll be fine, maybe he'll self destruct, maybe I really don't care what happens to this waster of oxygen.

imho,

Agu

Steve_B
12/18/2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Agu
This is about mental health, not politics or religion.

:thumbsup:

cwbroden
12/18/2003, 11:40 PM
Yeah..... a mental health thread. (Like that will keep this from getting pulled.) And I'd like to see ONE person say that he should be allowed on the street. The man shot a president. I don't care if you like Reagan or not. That's just wrong.

Steve_B
12/18/2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by cwbroden
Yeah..... a mental health thread. (Like that will keep this from getting pulled.)

That was a reply from a mod

And I'd like to see ONE person say that he should be allowed on the street. The man shot a president. I don't care if you like Reagan or not. That's just wrong.

Your right, it seems outrageous that he has any type of freedom.

phuzzy3d
12/19/2003, 12:08 AM
Hinckley, Jodie my marry you if you take out the current war monger.

Steve_B
12/19/2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by phuzzy3d
Hinckley, Jodie my marry you if you take out the current war monger.

That's the kind of comment that will get my thread locked.:D

pnosko
12/19/2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by cwbroden
And I'd like to see ONE person say that he should be allowed on the street. The man shot a president. I don't care if you like Reagan or not. That's just wrong. Well, some did say he should be allowed unsupervised visits with his folks and nothing more. I have no expertise to make a judgement on his mental status. He was ruled insane at the time, and it's been two decades. Anyone here that can say they know more about his state of mind than the doctors that rendered their professional opinion, please share your wisdom.

Doctors' Reports Swayed Hinckley Judge
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/19/national/19HINC.html?ex=1072414800&en=80056fe34bcbb10a&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE

The federal judge who granted John W. Hinckley Jr. unsupervised visits with his parents outside of the psychiatric hospital here where he has lived for 21 years was persuaded by testimony from five doctors who saw "clinically significant improvement" in Mr. Hinckley since he shot President Ronald Reagan in 1981.

The doctors — two for the federal government and three called by Mr. Hinckley's lawyer — agreed that Mr. Hinckley would pose no danger to himself or others on such trips and that his mental illnesses, including depression and narcissistic personality disorder, were greatly reduced.

blue agua
12/19/2003, 01:03 AM
I dont remember if he killed anyone.If not the he can get parroled. If he did kill someone then no.Everyone deerves a second chance. Its the United States. I am not say ing it mis right.

Steve_B
12/19/2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by blue agua
I dont remember if he killed anyone.If not the he can get parroled. If he did kill someone then no.Everyone deerves a second chance. Its the United States. I am not say ing it mis right.

He didn't go to prison, he went to the looney bin. You can be released when you are deemed no longer a danger to yourself or others. BTW I don't think anybody has died from his attack but James Bradey (sp?) was left extreamly screwed up.