PDA

View Full Version : XBox or Playstation2 or game cube ?

oz
12/18/2003, 09:55 AM
This will be for me AND my 3 and a half year old son. I hear that Xbox was better for adults but don't have any kids game and that
you'd have to pay to play online. I think I can buy a playstation2 with the network stuff for $199 at Gamestop store.

Another thought I had was, may be I should just get the Xbox for myself and separately get a gamecube for my son ? What do you think ? Gamecube is kids only right ? Are the games cheaper on the cube ?

Please advise, thanks.

BTW, how much are the games ?

tdog44632
12/18/2003, 10:05 AM
I don't know if so called kids games are just for kids I love Mario Bros. and PIKMIN is addictive , so I like gamecube games. Gamecube games are not any cheaper than any other consoles. I have heard Nintendo was not producing anymore Gamecubes, but was just using up what was already made and then thats it(but I cannot say this was for sure). That being said I bought a playstation 2 for my family for Christmas, I got one used off Ebaywith 5 games for 220 shipped. The one great thing I heard about Xbox is Xbox Live is great if you have the broadband connection that is required. I have roadrunner so I may get Xbox after Christmas. New games for all systems are around $50 FWIW

Tony

Q-ball
12/18/2003, 10:12 AM
I had an XBox...ended up selling it, Halo rocked, a few other games were cool...but I lost interest. I just picked up a PS2 and am playing (more like getting my butt kicked until I learn the maps:lol:) Socom2 online and I love it. If you liked counterstrike, you're going to love Socom2. FWIW

Q!!!

lilbuddy
12/18/2003, 11:01 AM
for a younger child I would get a game cube. The price is a lot less and they wont appericate the power of xbox.

despot101
12/18/2003, 11:21 AM
I would look at either xbox or ps2. I am not too confident that game cube will be a huge force in the market for alot longer.
Online play with either xbox or ps2 will cost you money. I prefer xbox live. (Broadband is needed, but without broadband online play sucks anyways.)

It really comes down to personal preference. Both platforms have games priced at 19.99, and both platforms have lots of difference games.

oz
12/18/2003, 12:10 PM
Online play with either xbox or ps2 will cost you money

Hey the guy at the GameStore said online play with PS2 was free.

Is it free or is it not to play online with the PS2 and how much with the Xbox ?

I do have broadband. Doesn't everybody ? hehe

I have DSL though, not cable modem.

What about wireless. I have wireless network setup at home, can I hook up either the Xbox or PS2 to network wirelessly ?

Anyone know ? or do I have to bring the TV and console close to the PC to play online ? thanks in advance.

despot101
12/18/2003, 12:16 PM
For the ps2 I meant the modem will cost. As will some games. (I'm not sure which ones.)

Xbox live would be $70 for the starter kit (headset and 1 year subscription).
After that is $50 a year.

The main things is xbox live has more than 70 games already. Which I am pretty sure is alot more than ps2 has for online play.

Q-ball
12/18/2003, 12:34 PM
I've got DSL and play my PS2 over that. It costs nothing to play Socom2, Madden2004 (haven't played online yet, but it is free)...dunno if any other games cost. You can do wireless with a PS2 or Xbox, you just need the Linksys wireless game adapter...it sells for about $50 I think?

VaderWS6
12/18/2003, 12:56 PM
PS2

chewie
12/18/2003, 01:10 PM
I have a Gamecube and a PS2. My 3 (almost 4) year old likes both, but There aren't too many PS2 games made for kids. On the PS2 He likes Star Wars Racer, and Clone Wars, but there are some PS1 games he likes, Tigger, Blues clues, and others. The PS1 games we picked up for about 10bucks.

For gamecube he likes Finding Nemo, Smash brothers, Mario golf, and Mario Kart.

He plays the gamecube games more. When I get a chance to play, I like the PS2, but I like the game cube too!

I am addicted to Mario Kart Big Time! I can almost keep up with my son LOL

nemain
12/18/2003, 04:11 PM
Game cube 12 and under
XBOX 12 and over ( or if you are as strict as I am, prolly not until they are at least 16)
PS2 general family use.

We have a PS2 and find that it is the "in between" of the two, it has power, and both *adult* and childrens games. The controller seems to be a little more kid friendly than the XBOX.

jmho tho =)

Beth

thrlride
12/18/2003, 04:41 PM
I personally have all three and am undecided on which ones I like the best. xbox is the most powerful and the online is probably the best. (ought to be since it costs $) PS2 is very good with SOCOM 2 and the other games it has. (Q, we need to meet online in SOCOM 2, what lobby do you frequent?) Gamecube is not only for kids but if you want adult oriented games (Grand theft auto etc) skip it.
It would help to know what kind of games you and your kid are looking to play to give you a very good opinion though...
BTW, I have both the xbox and PS2 running through a linksys wireless router/switch and a linksys access point. I had to upgrade the firmware in the router for Project Gotham Racing 2 to work but that is because I have had the router for a while.

asmujica
12/18/2003, 04:47 PM
The xbox and gamecube idea sounds great.

I personally own a gamecube and I am glad I bought it. Almost all the games are on all the consoles, and nintendo has some very good proprietary games that make it more than worthwile.

needyreefer
12/18/2003, 05:15 PM
id go with the xbox game cube idea

Megalodon
12/18/2003, 05:34 PM
I have a Game Cube and I love it.

Myladyfish
12/18/2003, 07:39 PM
i think ps2 offers the widest range of games than the others... yeah xbox and cube rock but not as much IMO... if you're going to buy ps2 now, you're basically just gonna squeeze the fun for only one year+ more because PS3 is coming our way in 2005... so if you're an up-to-date gamer, you may want to consider this :D right now i'm saving for that!!

asmujica
12/18/2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Myladyfish
i think ps2 offers the widest range of games than the others... yeah xbox and cube rock but not as much IMO... if you're going to buy ps2 now, you're basically just gonna squeeze the fun for only one year+ more because PS3 is coming our way in 2005... so if you're an up-to-date gamer, you may want to consider this :D right now i'm saving for that!!

Good point, all consoles are due for an update in 2005.

ljp3
12/18/2003, 11:14 PM
Christmas Season 2005 (by some accounts) I wouldn't be too concerned about the XBOX2 or PS3 they usually only launch with 10-16 games and they are usually not as good because the Development community have not learned to tap the hardwares full potential. SO for most of us 2006 is when you might upgrade plus XBOX2 and PS3 will be backwards compatible.
For the kid you are spending $79 for a gamecube and you can rent games, so for a minimal investment you have a Christmas gift that will last for 18 months, because Nintendo will not just quit making games for it.

$179 for the XBOX with 2 games is a good deal and I would recomment gamefly as well it works like netflix for $21 a month