PDA

View Full Version : Green Chromis scraping against rocks and snails

Radicaljbr
12/16/2003, 07:49 PM
I have this Green Chromis that keeps scraping himself against a snail or rocks. He is really scraping up his gills. Any ideas?

Tank is 100 gallon with 150 live rock. Just got it cycled and added the Chromis two days ago. I think I noticed the scale damage right after I got it in the tank. He eats fine and swimms fine. My tests are fine.

Any ideas?

thanks

John

astrogazer
12/16/2003, 08:00 PM
He could be exhibiting the early signs of ICK.

Radicaljbr
12/16/2003, 09:03 PM
what is ICK

elefink
12/16/2003, 09:20 PM
Sounds like a parasite. Is the fish or anything else in the tank new? Are you feeding live brine?

elefink
12/16/2003, 09:21 PM
Are there any white spots on your fish? It sounds to me live ooodinium or maybe ich.

n240sxle91
12/16/2003, 09:24 PM
If it is ICk you will want to remove all fish from your aquarium for at least 4 weeks.

elefink
12/16/2003, 09:25 PM
Both are parasitic infections.

n240sxle91
12/16/2003, 09:26 PM
Good point!

elefink
12/16/2003, 09:26 PM
Set up a hospital tank and put the fish in it. Add copper sulfate to the tank.

elefink
12/16/2003, 09:27 PM
that is, add the copper to the hospital tank, never the main tank.

snobanker
12/17/2003, 03:19 AM
I read that you can lower the SG of your water to 1.011 for a few weeks in an FO or 1.017 in a reef and that "Marine" Ich and velvet parasites can't live at those levels, but fish and corals can handle those levels fine. A nice freshwater dip for at least 8 minutes for the affected fish first helps too for immeadiate relief because the "cites" die immeadiatly and drop off. If the fish is already really stressed you may want to skip the dip and put him right in the lower SG water. I tried this with a Yellow Tang that got Ich, but I did it in my hospital tank not my main. It seemed to work fine and I musta got him out just in time because my Picasso, Flame, and Damsels never showed any signs.

snobanker
12/17/2003, 03:31 AM
This might be important to my last post on lowering the S.G. temporarily...inverts don't do well )if dont do well means die) which is why I did the experiment in my H.T.

Radicaljbr
12/17/2003, 10:53 AM
Thanks for all the responses...The tank, as I mentioned is very new. The fish have been in for about a week. I bought 7 and 3 died right away. I have 4 left and two fo them have these bad scales on the sides. Do not have a hospital tank and do not have the money for one right away. I will try the freshwater dip.

thanks

John

spydergst98
12/17/2003, 11:04 AM
If you have ICH setup a Hospital Tank Now.

I did listen and waited a week and then tried some ICH medicine that was Reef Safe for another week.

Now my Clown Trigger, Blue Tang, Flame Angel, and Percula Clown (2) are all dead.

The only survivors are a Yellow Tang, 6 Green Chromis, and a YT Blue Damsel. I currently have then in a hyposalinity tank set at 1.009 for 4 weeks - they are going great - eating well and the Main tank is Fishless and will be for 6 weeks.

Later,

spydergst98
12/17/2003, 11:06 AM
Oh Yeah - I didn't want to spend money on a Hospital tank either so I went to Garden Ridge (You can go to Walmart too) AND GOT A 20 GALLON PLASTIC CONTAINER FOR $5.99

I added a PH and the sponge from my Wet/Dry for biologial Media, and a heater.

LAter,

Radicaljbr
12/17/2003, 11:47 AM
OK...well I tried to get the fish out and there is no use. My tank is 30" high with 150 pounds of rock. He is hiding and will not come out. I even tried to feed them and the one that is sick would not come out. How do you get them out?

thanks

TealCobra
12/17/2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Radicaljbr
OK...well I tried to get the fish out and there is no use. My tank is 30" high with 150 pounds of rock. He is hiding and will not come out. I even tried to feed them and the one that is sick would not come out. How do you get them out?

thanks

You may need to try a fish trap w/some of his favorite food in order to remove him.

Dexter1334
12/17/2003, 03:57 PM
You can try at night , use a flashlight with a clear red cover on the lense. Sometimes they are slower and easier to catch.

snobanker
12/17/2003, 09:27 PM
I had the same problem with my yellow tang. He was a bugger to catch. I tried my fish trap with him, but he wouldn't fall for it. I put a lettuce clip in it with some Nori, which did work, but I looked away and when I looked out he was zipping right back out. I finally had to move some rock around and finally netted him. I have a fairly large soft net and just kind of held it in the open then I kind of wiggled the handle of a tank scraper close to where he was and after about 2 hours and more swear words than I thought I knew, I got him. I dont like to net a tang because of the barbs, but I had to get him out. Its a nice tight weave net so he didn't get caught in it.

snobanker
12/17/2003, 09:28 PM
If worse comes to worse you could always hyposaliniate the main tank.

snobanker
12/17/2003, 09:32 PM
I made my hospital tank out of a cheap 10g tank and hood from Walmart. All it has is a small power filter, a heater and an air stone for added aeration. I think the whole thing cost less than 60 bones.

n240sxle91
12/18/2003, 05:23 AM
Using any kind of a bio-filter on a hospital tank being treated with copper is a bad idea. Copper kills the bio-filters. Water changes and carbon are about the only real way to keep the hospital tank clean. To catch the fish try buying a large piece of plexi-glass that's as tall as you tank. Then insert it in your tank and make a triangle with the side and front of your tank. You can then use it as a door if you will. Leave it in there for a day and let the fish get used to it. Then when you feed next you can close the "door" on them and netting will be no problem. Hope that was clear! It worked like a charm for me!