PDA

View Full Version : Too much time on my hands

ginntonic74
12/16/2003, 02:53 PM
Ok here is proof i have to much time at work look at what i found.

http://www.bonsaikitten.com/bnw.html

tdog44632
12/16/2003, 03:01 PM
Oh! I have lots more time than you saw it months ago:D

musicsmaker
12/16/2003, 03:02 PM
How long before they offer them up for sale?

NTidd
12/16/2003, 03:50 PM
For those of you that have a lot of time on your hands, consider this: Is it possible to create a device that is solar powered and when it is running it makes a little LED or lightbulb turn on, would this be able to run on a endless cycle powering itself?

My guess is no, but I don't think I can explain clearly why it couldn't.

musicsmaker
12/16/2003, 03:54 PM
No, because the energy would be used up as heat.

NTidd
12/16/2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by musicsmaker
No, because the energy would be used up as heat.
:confused:

ginntonic74
12/16/2003, 04:41 PM
sure it would work. You would need to have enough out put of solar to power the device.
I think.

thrlride
12/16/2003, 04:44 PM
LED's run for a long time so I don't think that would be the issue. I have always wondered this myself though. Why can't they make an alternator/charger/generator that gives out enough juice to recharge batteries to where devices such as cars or anything requiring power can be self sufficient. I guess it can't be done with today's technology but I don't know why.

musicsmaker
12/16/2003, 05:01 PM
Don't quote me word for word here, but this is the basic rundown. Energy exists in certain forms: heat, light, and motion (kinetic energy). The heat generated in that situation (LED powering itself via a solar panel) uses up all the energy until there is none left to be made into light.

Steve_B
12/16/2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by ginntonic74
Ok here is proof i have to much time at work look at what i found.

http://www.bonsaikitten.com/bnw.html

I was about to get really mad until I realized this was a goof.:mad2:

beerguy
12/16/2003, 05:50 PM
What you're trying to explain is basically a perpetual motion device. (yes you're using light and not a motor)

In order to work, 100% of the energy required to light the LED would have to be recovered by the solar cell. Current technology doesn't support that kind of efficiency. Even the short wires on the LED add resistance to the circuit.

NTidd
12/16/2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by beerguy
What you're trying to explain is basically a perpetual motion device. (yes you're using light and not a motor)

In order to work, 100% of the energy required to light the LED would have to be recovered by the solar cell. Current technology doesn't support that kind of efficiency. Even the short wires on the LED add resistance to the circuit.

What if it only takes about an eighth of the light from the led to power led???

beerguy
12/16/2003, 07:05 PM
Think about your statement. How does any device produce more energy then it consumes?

Even if your statement was possible, and modern physics says that it's not, it wouldn't matter because there is still loss in every circuit. Each iteration of the loop would have less power available. The circuit couldn't be sustained without external energy being added.

musicsmaker
12/16/2003, 08:48 PM
PS ~ IF you ever figure out how to make that work, DONT TELL ANYONE! Just PM me with all the details. :D

Fat Man
12/17/2003, 12:54 PM
Beer guy got it right. Had a simmilar conversation with a guy concerning pumps a few years ago.